ad: ProAudio-1

One "Terrorbyte" HD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Feb 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a new Windoze 10 b0x with a 1 GB (oops, I mean one TERRORBYTE) drive. Will an appropriate version of "Partition Magic" allow me to split it into 3-4 partitions, rather than a single partition? This before I install much software.

Thanks.

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

My first HD was 20 megs. Maybe I should upgrade?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you want separate partitions, or separate drives? Separate partitions are usually for installing separate OS's or file systems, Volumes are the drives created inside a partition. What are you trying to do? 1TB isn't a "big" drive these days, and setting it up as one big drive isn't unusual.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually don’t partition until I have at least a horrorbyte.

KB1NXE, WA7PRC, ND6M and 1 other person like this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was horroable.

WA7PRC and N0TZU like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

My first HD was a ST-225 (20MB) on an XT clone back in the 80's, we have a ST-238 RLL encoded drive at work (30MB) that failed, I took it home and formatted it MFM and added a second 20MB drive to my system. 40MB?!? I'll never use all that....

WA7PRC and KF5RRF like this.
  7. WD0BCT

After both retiring my wife and I gave up on Windows and both went over to Apple. She got the SS "drive" and went HD. I went HD to get more storage. Looking back on our computing needs today I wish I had gone SS also. Her machine boots in a heartbeat and is much faster when accessing the "drive".
    No moving parts is a plus in my book.
    Apple still markets their driveless "drive" but they are still quite a bit smaller than conventional HDs.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

My Apple stock loves you.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC and KD4MOJ like this.
  9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

You can still upgrade to SSD - I just upgraded a 2011 MacBook Pro from a 750GB HD to a 240GB SSD ($59!) 2 weeks ago, and it made a huge difference. Don't need the space on this machine, 240G is plenty.

10. WD0BCT

If you would send some of your dividend checks my way I'll upgrade to a SSD machine. :)