One Question and On Suggestion

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by N6TTO, Jul 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N6TTO

N6TTO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So a weird question is why we use the parlance of 5 band award when under the 5 bands, 6 or 7 or more bands is listed? Why not have it say 6 band or 7 band or whatever?

Now for the odd suggestion. Some people may like an award based on DX contacts... not countries but like 500 DX Contacts or 1000 DX Contacts, etc. Maybe endorsement for every 250. I dunno, but would be fun. I know I would chase something like that. Although I will stay be taking all DX contacts anyways lol.

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First question: Tradition. For the longest time there were five major HF bands. 10, 15, 20, 40 & 80. There were also, depending on the era, 10, 20, 40 & 160. 15 meters was added after the second world war. Then in the late 20th century the WARC bands of 12, 17 & 30 were added to the mix. And just for flavor, we now have the 60 meter band and some lowfer bands. So, the initial award was designed around five major HF bands, but it is a bit of a moving target because bands come and go over the decades.

Second question: http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-challenge. ARRl already has that award. CQ magazine sponsors a similar award called, I think, the DX marathon which runs for one calendar year and then starts over. So, soon others will chime in with other things/ awards to chase. Like county hunters, worked all states, worked all Britain / Japan/ Australia etc, ect... Many awards to chase.

Have fun, hope that helps..

KP4SX likes this.
  3. N6TTO

On the first part... why not expand to include the number of bands? Just wondering really. I understand it was built one way, but the times have changed.

For the second, these are not quite the same. The challenge is not the same, it counts one contact per DXC, so for example I have one Japan contact per band. I just thought it would be fun to have more.

I have yet to find a listing of some things to do. I am new to logging, mainly due to FT8, which I can run anytime without my XYL wondering why I am never leaving my office/shack lol. Sometimes it would be nice to see a listing of contests you can run with. I am lost on ClubLog, here and ARRL are easier lol. Grabbed a few things here, my WAS, WPX, and some eQSL stuff.

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

N6TTO likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ClubLog isn't what you think it is :) Its a place to store your contacts, view and analyze your totals, offer OQRS if you choose.
    If Robert likes awards he might be interested in FT-DMC.

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

The more variety of the awards - the more awards there are ;)

7. N6TTO

8. N6TTO

Nothing wrong with that lol. Let everyone have what they like.
    I know, but it looks like its meant to connect you to things.. which is weird. Still learning.

Oh and FT-DMC? Been a member a few days lol. https://www.qrz.com/db/N6TTO

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Connect you in what way? I don't understand.

10. N6TTO

Find clubs you may be interested in, get a QSL card (though with the pandemic I wonder if I will ever get one from there), learn about DXpeditions, and it has a feel that I am missing some.