One Character Messing With Me

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KA3CTQ, Feb 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use it, hear it in I would say 99.9% of QSO. Change subject indicator mostly. I have heard 4 5 or more in a row during ragchews when the guy is trying to think of something to say rather than silence so the other OP knows he's still there. 73 Rich

W5BIB likes this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't give a flyin' flip what ITU recommends in some stuff document, and I doubt many other hams do either. And most of this doesn't even make sense in a ham contact anyway.

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. WD4IGX

Ah, got it. I've never seen that before this thread either. It's technically, as others have pointed out, a double dash "- - " but I just write it down as a dash when copying on paper. As far as writing it with the bar, that is a way to write the code but not what the code means, if that makes sense. The bar just indicates those characters are sent together with no character space between, same with KN, SK, AR etc. But I never actually wrote them down that way. I would have problems answering that way to a program too.

4. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

RR = I hear it a lot = use it all the time = OP Tom Tom = QTH OH OH = BK

IF that's bad, someone needs to say something!

5. WD4IGX

"Stuffy" document and "ham context." I really need to proofread before I hit post!