Once again.... PLEASE STOP!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by N7MK, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark, if you need... I volunteer to write a little PHP plugin for the BBS and when someone types FOR SALE or FS in the subject line then high voltage will travel from the main AT&T node to there IP and blow there computer up.

Well, that might work except they would get a new computer and post the same once more. Sigh.

2. NA3P

NA3P Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like your website, but Dude, you really need to let it go. It is not a big deal that people say For Sale. Just let it go my man. Don't go psycho over such a small matter. OK? PS. Please don't banish me from your website for speaking my mind. OK?

3. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

You're in his house, you follow his rules. Why is it so difficult?

4. W6AWS

W6AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AE5FE

AE5FE Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's an easy fix. If it does not follow the guidelines, delete it!

Why should you waste the time to edit it, if they can't "waste" their time reading and following simple instructions.

6. W7AZL

W7AZL Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the big deal? Why does it matter? I don't see why it would be so upsetting.

7. KC4RAN

1) Because the admin is asking / telling you to? He owns the site, he makes the rules... you're a guest in his house.

2) You tell me which one is easier to see what's actually being sold:

Ad 1:
    QRZ Forum >> Ham Radio Items FOR SALE >> FOR SALE

Topic Title: FOR SALE
    Topic Description: FOR SALE

Message Body:
    I have a blah blah radio with XYZ antenna FOR SALE

or

Ad 2:
    QRZ Forum >> Ham Radio Items FOR SALE >> Kenwood 950SDX

Topic Title: Kenwood 950SDX
    Topic Description: Well kept, includes filters...

Message Body:
    I have a Kenwood 950SDX with XYZ antenna for sale.

Putting "FOR SALE" in the Topic Title and Description just means that instead of being able to scan the forum, I have to click on the listing itself to read what the heck is actually for sale... in the FOR SALE section. It just makes no sense.

So... and back to the original reason it matters... he has asked you to stop, so stop.

8. KA8DKT

KA8DKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think what you meant to say is, "Putting only "FOR SALE" in the Topic Title and Description just means that instead of being able to scan the forum, [you] have to click on the listing itself to read what the heck is actually for sale... in the FOR SALE section."

How about:

Ad 3:
    QRZ Forum >> Ham Radio Items FOR SALE >> Kenwood 950SDX

Topic Title: Kenwood 950SDX For Sale
    Topic Description: Well kept, includes filters...

Message Body:
    I have a Kenwood 950SDX with XYZ antenna for sale.

No trouble scanning this one for the item to be sold, right?

-gary

9. KC4RAN

No trouble scanning, it makes about as much sense as putting "HAM RADIO" in the topic title of every post on this board. If you post something in the "FOR SALE" section, isn't it redundant to put "FOR SALE" in the title as well? Maybe "HAM RADIO FOR SALE: Kenwood 950SDX"?

When you scan the New Posts, it shows you what forum they're posted in. Obviously, if there's a post in the "For Sale" section titled "Kenwood 950SDX", it's logical to reason that they're selling a Kenwood 950SDX. It doesn't add any value to put "FOR SALE" in the title of something that's already listed in the "For Sale" section, does it?

10. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

KC4RAN, I appreciate the fervor with which you defend the site, and it's great that you believe so strongly, but do not forget that as "guests in his house", we're PAYING HIS BILLS by being the target of ad impressions.

We collectively have the final say in what is acceptable or not - if enough people get put off by the micromanagement, this site will lose traffic and the bills will not get paid due to decreased ad revenue.

I think the FS forum is far over-regulated and people are too quick to criticize in there. This "no FS or For Sale" stuff is for the birds. I have never, NEVER encountered such a pedantic and trivial, yet so strongly enforced policy on any forum, ever. Especially since eBay auctions are allowed - the standard for forums is to have FS: in your title for a sale, and FA: for an auction ad.

I hardly think anybody can oppose such a simple and unobtrusive system given the facts.

11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.