Once again.... PLEASE STOP!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by N7MK, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9JAM

WA9JAM Ham Member QRZ Page

kant spel, kant sell, [​IMG]

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

It was so bad that about 1983 or so they started requiring a class in college (here at least at the UW) about writing skills. I am not sure if it was a nationwide requirement.

Hey Howie! You have my vote!
    It is pretty sad that we are all into communications but so many can't put three words together to form a sentence with no misspelled words!!
    I spend a lot of time on a slot car racing forum Old Weird Herald
    where you do not see even close to the same amount of spelling mistakes. It is also fairly heavily moderated by "Mom" the owner, Paul Kassens. Trust me, there is a lot of controversy and side taking in that hobby too!
    Here there is the ARRL,
    there it is the USRA.
    Here it is code, no code,
    there it is wing car racers vs. scale racing.
    Here we have lack of new blood,
    Same thing there.
    The list goes on.
    One big difference, THERE everyone gets along!
    Why? It is well moderated. You can taper your clientèle if you want to and have a positive impact on their behavior here online or in a tavern! You cannot be afraid that there won't be someone to click a link so you can collect a nickel or dime here and there.
    There, the advertisers chip in hundreds of dollars of prizes for a raffle about once a year to help keep the website going. Last year there were about 100 prizes handed out. [​IMG]

3. KA8DKT

KA8DKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For quite a while I worked with a guy that had a law degree from Cornell who was a terrible speller and used some of the worst syntax I had ever seen. I really mean that I could easily find 8th graders who could write better than he did. I often wondered who wrote his papers for him in college.

-gary

4. WD4MP

WD4MP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I don't get it either... its a free service, with a few simple rules. So, why not comply with the request? Is there a problem with showing our appreciation by honoring a simple request, rather than arguing against compliance. Its sort of like inviting a fellow ham to use your station, and they repay the hospitality by complaining about your selection of equipment, or indignantly suggesting that they'll borrow someone else's because you ask them to not be abusive. I'm sure we'd all jump right on that.

As for the spelling, the only spelling/grammar/syntax that may be worse than that penned by hams is aviation ads... based on those ads, as a lot, pilots are awful with English. Those of you who read the Barnstormers ads understand... or maybe not.
    :)

5. WB7SWN

WB7SWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't agree more with the comments above. The ham forums actually seem to contain far more of this type behavior (language, childish posts) than forums I frequent related to my other hobbies. This seems to be mirrored in the general on-air ham environment as well.

I also don't understand why QRZ.com doesn't have a strict "price police" policy for the buy and sell forums. This has become standard on most forums and seems to be a real issue here. Price police once should be a warning, twice is banned. If I want to list a Heath HW-101 for $5000, that's my business. Why should anyone else care?

In my 30+ years as an amateur radio operator, this is the first time I've very seriously considered completely liquidating my ham equipment and pursuing other hobbies.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I may be wrong but I think listing "For Sale' "FS" ect, messes up the search function of the site. I am not sure how it works, so I won't go there, but if this is the case I can understand not wanting those terms listed in the ad titles.

7. KA8DKT

KA8DKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fine.  Then let's have it explained so the rule seems rational.

The given reasons:
    seem somewhat arbitrary and capricious.  Why, for example, does Fred or anyone, bother to re-edit the headers?  Many get left unedited anyway so that doesn't seem to be an issue of consequence for the function of the section or the site.

If it is an aesthetic thing, I can respect that but just say so, then.  If it disrupts the search function, then just explain it.

Otherwise it just seems like a rule that is there just to have a rule.  How can you expect people to respect that kind of rule?

-gary

8. N6KX

N6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

When guests enter a home, rules such as "Don't smoke" or "Please remove your shoes" may be in force.  It shouldn't be necessary for the host to explain or justify these rules... it's his home.

We are guests on Fred's website.  Common courtesy suggests one should comply with simple rules without requiring an explanation.  In this case, the rules were already posted, and, in addition, a site administrator has just reiterated and further clarified his wishes.

If you don't like the rules, go elsewhere or start your own site; we'll see how laissez-faire you are with your guests.

Howie N6KX  [​IMG]

9. N7JS

N7JS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

edit

10. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone shud spel chek there adds beefour posting.

11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.