Once again.... PLEASE STOP!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by N7MK, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N7MK

N7MK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Apparently, this needs to be repeated AGAIN! I just spent some time deleting the words "For Sale", "For Sail" and "FS" from a number of postings. Apparently, these posters did not read the posting directions.

Mark
    N7MK

Quote:

aa7bq
    Founder, QRZ.COM

Posted: Oct. 13 2007,07:57

Please stop posting the words FOR SALE, FS/FT, etc.
    in the posting titles of these swapmeet items.

EVERY LISTING TITLE MUST NAME AN ITEM

Why?

1. because everything in this area is FOR SALE
    2. because these words are useless when searching
    3. because I have to take time to re-edit the headers.

'nuff said

-fred

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Fred Lloyd, AA7BQ
    Founder, QRZ.COM
    http://www.qrz.com

2. N3JBH

N3JBH Ham Member QRZ Page

You Know humans are a creature of habit. And while some habits maybe bad and some maybe good. I really do not understand the terrible problem with the habit of placing the words For Sale on listing to for items that are for sale.

But then I understand the reason many folks have abandon listing on here in favor of QTH.com At least there they do not get chastised for simply using the word’s For Sale.

Now do not get me wrong I like QRZ but the ad police are getting to be like Storm Troopers. Just relax let the folks be just that normal folks that use habitual terms like For Sale. Jeff

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

And of course when "Please STOP #1" drops off the page who is going to see it to read it?? Also, that is dependent on how compelled they are to read it anyway.
    I always wondered what the big deal about not using "for sale" is anyway other than you simply shouldn't need to.
    Does it eat up some hard drive space or something? [​IMG]
    Bottom line is that if their item does not sell because they didn't title it correctly, it is they're own dang fault.

4. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

The following never "drops off", and is always listed at the top of the page. People are just not taking the time to read the rules of the forum.

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I know of the "sticky" at the top of the forum. I was referring to the previous "Please STOP" posting a page or two down now.

It's now 6 pages down.

6. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

These posts only reiterate the sticky rules. There is no excuse for not seeing them... except not reading before posting.

7. W2RDT

W2RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Another example of the attitudes of posters on this
    site.
    They are going to argue no matter what.
    If the gentleman asked, and he has several times
    to stop, WHY don't these set in their ways Hams
    STOP.
    They are too busy making a mountain out of a simple
    polite request, Never will understand, They will come
    up with a request to do or say something, if you dont
    adhere to their requests, you get chastised for not
    obeying the OTS.
    GUYS you have fee access to this forum.
    Give the guy his do. STOP postting The unneeded
    words.
    Just my dollar 2.98
    Russ==KC2RKO

8. N6KX

N6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

The use of words "For Sale" in ads, or the even more irritating "For Sail," in spite of the glaringly obvious request to not do so is only one of numerous verbal infractions regularly committed on these forums.

It's not because of laziness, or habit, or any other benign cause... it's due to illiteracy and stupidity.  There, I've said it.

A stunningly high number of QRZ participants communicate below a third-grade elementary school level.  I'm not talking about innocent typos, either.  The abysmal language skills displayed on these forums make it obvious that many posters never read!  You'd think that, by the time an American reaches their twenties or thirties, they'd have read the word "vertical" enough times to know it's not spelled "verticle;" or they'd have seen the name "Yaesu" enough times to know it's not spelled "Yeasu"... particularly when they're selling an item that's sitting right in front of their face!

So, don't get too worked up about the "For Sale" violators... that's just the tip of the iceberg.

(By the way... if I had the time, I'd humbly request that I be made an Admin, so I could edit poorly written posts.  More than three infractions in a single post... color it gone!  I can dream, can't I?  One result would be that, when QRZ is visited by any newcomer, the presence of clearly thought out, well written correspondence might leave the impression that those ham operators sound like a bright bunch.  Imagine.)

Howie N6KX  [​IMG]

9. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

If people would just read the rules before they post. They are posted at the head of the forum!
    Oh, no that's like being familiar with the rules we operate under, and courtesy~~
    Don't get me started~~

10. KA8DKT

KA8DKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Illiteracy has been a real problem here in the US starting in the middle seventies.  These forums only reflect that.

That said, it is beyond my comprehension that people will still misspell words that are spelled correctly in the post that they are answering.

All that said, other than for aesthetic reasons, I don't understand why saying "For Sale" or "FS" in a "For Sale" posting is so bad.  As a poster noted, are we that short on hard drive space?  

Perhaps, if you want to make and enforce a rule, you should provide a logical rational reason for it. If the reason is really rational, people would be more likely to be respectful of the rule.  If it is arbitrary, you can expect the rule to be broken regularly.

-gary

11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.