ad: Halibut-1

ON4UN Silent Key

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7RY, Nov 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sad to hear that a great OB has now left us. RIP dear OM and may your memory live on in Ham radio. My condolences to your nearest and dearest. John, G0WXU.

2. VE3ZSZ

VE3ZSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

very sad news he was a great gentleman of ham radio

many of us got great joy working his station
    or just hearing his huge signal
    and hearing his passion about Radio

your father was a great ambassador of the hobby we all loved and respected

his passion will live through ham radio till the end of time

god bless you all

and my deep condolences

samve3zsz

3. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Low Band DXing was one of the first books that I purchased as a new (again) ham. It's an encyclopedia of knowledge. God Bless John, his family and everything that he has so generously and passionately shared with us all.

4. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ON4UN was the first DX station I ever copied on 80 meters. It was January 1971. Later, I bought his book on low-band DXing and learned so much. Over the years, John and I had many QSOs on the air. I took joy in telling him he was the first DX I ever heard on 80. I've been to the Dayton Hamvention over three-dozen times so they tend to blend together but I think it was 10-15 years ago I met John at the Hamvention's DX Dinner in downtown Dayton. It was a thrill to visit with him face-to-face for several minutes and to thank him for his many contributions to ham radio. He was modest but thrillled to know his work meant so much to so many. We last QSOed on 20 meter SSB 2 or 3 years ago. He was a giant in the hobby and will be sorely missed.

AK5B likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ Page
    I eyeballed John a number of times over the years. He was instrumental in getting me on 160/80 meter with four squares.
    When I built my large European curtain last year he was my first Contact.

He will be missed but his Publications Will Go On.

K4QN, AK5B and WA2LXB like this.
  6. WB0ZRD

WB0ZRD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I met John at Dayton a number of years ago, very nice man. He talked to my wife and I like we had known each other for years. We still talk about that once in a while.

AK5B likes this.
  7. DL9ZAL

DL9ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

very sad news ...he was one of the reasons to become radio-amateur in Belgium as ON6ZS in Mons....my sincere condolences to Your family...rest in peace John

8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest in peace brother.

9. N2DDX

N2DDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

god bless john...prayers to family

KF4ZKU likes this.
  10. K8CMR

K8CMR Ham Member QRZ Page

John and I were great radio friends. I had many, many conversations with him on the radio, and several years ago, I had the great pleasure Why don't you buy the newest edition, I will sign them all." I told him we had a deal. I have them proudly displayed on my bookshelf and I have used them over the years for various antenna projects.

RIP John

K8CMR

11. K8CMR

K8CMR Ham Member QRZ Page

John and I were great radio friends. I had many, many conversations with him on the radio, and several years ago, I had the great pleasure of meeting him at the Dayton Hamvention. We made arrangements to meet there and I asked him if he would sign my three copies of Low Band Dxing. He said, "Why don't you buy the newest edition, I will sign them all." I told him we had a deal. I have them proudly displayed on my bookshelf and I have used them over the years for various antenna projects.

RIP John

K8CMR

12. NI0F

NI0F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I only worked John a few times but as the OP up the list said I can still hear his distinctive voice in my head. My condolences to the family.

SK Dit Dit

13. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

John was the first DX station I worked as a General and it has always stayed with me the amount of patience he showed and the advice he gave me. I was always amazed me how the band appeared to be dead except for ON4UN. John you will be greatly missed but I know that I worked one of the legends of ham radio. Gods speed my friend.

14. W0PN

W0PN Ham Member QRZ Page

He was a tribute to our ham community. He will be missed but always remembered.
    Thank you John, and God Bless!

KF4ZKU and K8PG like this.
  15. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Aloha Oe to a unique Ham.
    G3SEA/KH6