On the cheap ! what to buy HF rigs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by 2E1GAD, Sep 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

No one mentioned Icom 735. My first rig, just a workhorse. Good receiver, very sturdy finals. Simple to operate, controls all on the front panel, no menus. $cheap these days, but 30 years old and showing some fixable problems.

I have a half dozen other HF rigs. For RX none of them are half as good as my KX2.

Nor I expect as good at RX as my RTL SDR, $25.

2. 2E1GAD

2E1GAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought a very fine condition FT747GX it is a lovely radio strange way of changing bands mind you that does get a bit use too ! A very basic rig similar in use to my FT77 but much more modern look buttons instead of switches ! An excellent radio for static or camping duties . changing fequency is a bit strange either jumps frequencies or the reverse very slow ! But note this is a basic model and probably the cheapest yaesu have made. ( a bit like an older FT450 ) does have its drawbacks . no pre amp on the mike ! naught to 100 watts ! I run here also the TS50S which is a lovely radio but the buttons are very small indeed (ideal for mobile work ) And not as easy to operate than a FT757GX if i had the choice i go for the FT757GX much heavier radio and easier to work with

3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahaha but you have to budget a Wattmeter, a Dummy Load, a Coax Switch. TS-530S is forgiving too :) mine endured every and all operating mistakes possible, to name a few, 20mn with hand microphone push button on, don't ask why, dummy load went pretty darn hot (mic is inside a box since) Or more recently, very badly chirping, retuned it all and gone. Obviously, a MLA doesn't make things easier.
    My initial reasoning was: «Why would I need to explore every mode and bands when I am not yet capable of mastering one mode on the very few HF bands my antenna allows.»
    Keep in mind it can be frustrating to narrow your beginner journey that much!
    Oliver