On The Air magazine

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0IS, Jan 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

The premiere issue of On The Air magazine is now online. There's a link to read the magazine at this page:

http://www.arrl.org/read-on-the-air

Some of the pages aren't loading for me, but I'll attribute that to either a first-day glitch, or to my antiquated computer. When I reload the page, more pages load, but I still can't see all of them.

I also have a few nitpicks about some of the articles, but overall, I think it will be a very good resource for newbies. I suspect that over the course of a year's worth of issues, the magazine will get readers up to speed about what they can do with their new ticket. So in that sense, I think it's a success.

But it seems to me that it's unlikely to get into the hands of those who can make use of it. It's 36 pages long, and it comes out six times a year. Many people, right or wrong, view their ARRL membership as a QST subscription. And despite what the detractors have to say, I would say QST is worth $50 a year. (In my mind, I consider that I'm paying about $30 for the magazine, and $20 for my membership.)

But is it worth $50 to get six 36-page magazines? Especially since the target audience are newbies who haven't yet realized everything their new ticket is good for, I doubt if they are going to want to pay that much. In fact, if a newbie asked for my advice, my advice would be to get the QST subscription, and read OTA online.

It seems to me that it would be better to simply give away OTA for free. Or maybe include it as a benefit for an inexpensive trial membership to ARRL. Again, I think the magazine is good for what it is, but I don't see it making its way to the audience that ought to read it.

K4AGO, NK2U, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Works fine here. Right now, it's not requiring a password. Non-ARRL members should be able to view it.

NK2U likes this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is a great resource - post-licensing, I believe there is a dearth of information for the new hams. The length of articles and balance of technical vs. non-technical was spot on

K9CPO, W4POT, K2CAJ and 2 others like this.
  4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The AWRL give something away for FREE? Ha!

The AWRL is a money making organization in the publishing business. No way would they GIVE something away.

power.jpg

K0UO, AG5CK and NK2U like this.
  5. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem loading pages for me. The whole internet is in between me and the On The Air server. If you are having trouble, wait a little and try again.

Other than calling the ID-31 a dual band HT (its UHF) I thought it was pretty good. Keeping in mind it's geared to the aspiring ham or recently licensed operator.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK then... Went to the website, did a quick skim of the magazine.

My opinion is that it is a good magazine for the intended audience. I did not read all of the articles, just skimmed thru but what I did read looked OK and the info is factual and presented in an easy to understand manner.

So... Haters gonna hate, but it looks good from here. Also did not have any problems with the website or reading.

PY2RAF likes this.
  7. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's free at this very moment. You say "money making" as if its a bad thing, it isn't. QRZ is a money making organization as well.

8. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It wasn't for me, but would have been 22 years ago. That's a good thing. Well done by W1BXY and her team.

9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been pretty hard on the ARRL (justifiably so IMHO) for quite a while. But I also have tried to give credit where credit is due. Although I still question the need to create a new magazine when I believe QST has been pared down enough to accommodate ample content of this type; I must say that from what I saw in the first issue of On the Air, I was impressed. Any young new ham that is drawn to the type of content in the first issue is just what we're looking for in a new generation of hams.

W4POT and KA2IRQ like this.
  10. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this magazine is spot on! Good job ARRL. I think it is exactly what new hams will need. It does not need to be super long- but I'm sure they will add to it as time goes on. It's just the debut issue, let's give it a chance.

Now it is "our" turn! A magazine such as this is great- BUT, it is incumbent on hams, ESPECIALLY CLUBS to look through something like this and make those topics "accessible" to new hams. Someone who just got their license and reads "On the Air" will see, for example, an article on fox hunting. They may then think, "hmmm, that sounds like fun, where can I do that?" If they show up at your club meeting, do you do fox hunts? Is it on your club web site? Do you talk about it on the local repeaters? Do you have some experienced hams who can guide them and organize a fox hunt? Maybe take it even further and use those techniques to track down local interference. Win, win, WIN!

Maybe get permission to print out a few articles from the magazine and hand them out, along with your club paraphernalia, at the end of your next VE session so that new licensees see that "this is some of the stuff I can do and this is where I can do it" - make your club a one-stop-shop for newbees.

Heck, go even further- just using the fox hunt thing as an example- you can do a club kit build project for some direction finding antennas and Doppler units... You can hit so many aspects of this hobby just by scanning a magazine like this and picking out some articles that you and your club can do to involve new hams- you build the hobby, grow your club, get young people involved.... this list goes on.