ad: MyersEng-1

ON THE AIR Magazine Goes DIGITAL in January

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not really, Chip. Your constructed phrase IS a painful contortion...as you continue to try to force others to your word gymnastics. Why don't you try ham radio? It can be a greatly enjoyable hobby. This will give you some kitty litter to play in....

2. K4FMH

MY vocabulary? Please explain your point...

3. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Ahh playing games with words when you know for fact I am referring to Desktop. You cannot dispute the reasons I gave, Desktops are 8-track tapes. Only dinosaurs and fossils like ourselves still cling onto ancient technology and terms. At least I can admit it and laugh at myself. Might help if you learned to do the same.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Meee OWWW!!!

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

"terminology is a painful contortion of great proportion"

6. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I can dispute your statements. What you are saying is nonsense.

It is not assumed you were referring to desktops. I am not clinging to ancient terms. I posted the dictionary definition of PC. It's right there.

You certainly do not like to admit you are wrong, and you are the one who comes back twisting words around to make it appear you are correct.

You want to be an authority and claimed expert. yet you behave very unprofessionally here. Constantly insulting and putting people down when they make a statement. Yet you turn out to be in the wrong. You are not fooling anyone but yourself.

People here see through your bluster. You are not making yourself look good.

W1YW likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

An assistant director should KNOW that 'ham radio' is a service allocation--with a hobby component.

The ARRL, to date, and admittedly so (see W7VO's comments on the Zed), has apparently not understood this sufficiently to, prior, implement a defense of 9cm. Services survive by manifestion of mission. Oops that sounds like pseudo intellectual biz school speak! Guess its rubbing off. I'm 'lit' to 'failing fast'!

The directors and assistant directors are responsible for knowing 'who we are', vis a vis Part 97.

Notta HOBBY.

I've got a hobby. I collect guitar picks. I have Roy Orbison's pick. And Roy' Buchanan's pick (when he wasn't using his huge fingernail).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    W1BR likes this.
  8. K4FMH

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your rational comments here. Mine was that, too, but let me clarify, also. Both arguments can be both right and wrong. Both are "right" in that's what each has viewed through experience. That's the "personal windshield survey" that professional survey researchers use as a metaphor for personal experience. (If you break down each word, it will come to most anyone.) Both are "wrong" in that no one's personal experience reflects the pattern that can be observed in the population under discussion. That's why we do collected data on observations to get a view of this "big picture." My interview with Howard Michel ARRL CEO on the ICQ Podcast clearly indicates that he is directing the League's staff toward that approach, even using survey data they have a survey organization collect for them.

We shall see how successful the On the Air magazine is for the intended audience. The RSGB has a similar approach, too. I've criticized the ARRL on a number of occasions in the public space (blog, podcast) but I also support this effort by the League to reach new hams. Will it be successful? That's something that a year or two's experience and data will tell us about.

Frank
    K4FMH
    ARRL Assistant Director, Delta Division
    Presenter, ICQ Podcast
    k4fmh.com

9. K4FMH

It's a hobby. That provides a service as per Part 97. What's Notta?

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Show us where its says in Part 97's mission that is is a 'hobby'.

I can't believe an assistant director keeps on saying :'it's a HOBBY'.

It's a licensed SERVICE with a HOBBY component.

Not the same.

Big difference.

HOBBYISTS will LOSE 9cm.

Part 97 users will try to SAVE it.

To date, the directors and assistant directors, IMO, have sure been acting like HOBBYISTS. I give you that.

11. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Perfect example of "Fake News"!

BTW I searched Apple Apps for the ARRL apps and could not find them. I'm not sure how we download OTA. I have the QST app which interestingly did not show up while searching Apple Apps today? Sounds like a success is being announced prior to establishing the infrastructure.

12. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Most office situations I see are using not only super large HD screens but multiple screens sitting on what? A desktop.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The link clearly says (digital): "AVAILABLE MID JANUARY".

;-)

14. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Minor detail. People want to post on the Zed.:D:D:D:D:D:D

W1YW likes this.
  15. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank,

I didn't intend my comment to you as an insult when I asked for a translation to English, I honestly had never heard the phrase "personal windshield survey".

I look forward to reading On The Air, when it goes digital. I might learn something.