ad: M2Ant-1

ON THE AIR Magazine Goes DIGITAL in January

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Exactly what I said right, special application like Autocad, gaming stations, Labs, ect. Bust the Desktop Biz is on life support and the Priest are standing by to read the Last Rights. There are always going to be Clingers. You know who you are, you still have landline telephones, CRT's, analog TV, and Tower Desktops in your homes.

Remember all those computer stores? They had al kinds of Desktops and Repairs. Places like Compuserve, Fry's, Micro-Centers, and tons of Ma-Pa shops. They are either out of biz, going out of biz, or soon will be out of biz. Take a look around, and observe what I am saying is exactly what is happening. Technology changed. Desktops are joining cassette tapes, 8-track tapes, buggy whips, and ham operators spot in a museums somewhere. Just not much use for them anymore.

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

"In the fourth quarter of 2019, Lenovo shipped 17.5 million personal computers worldwide, narrowly surpassing HP's 16.13 million shipments in that same quarter and retaining its market leader position. Dell occupies the third place on the list, shipping 12.11 million PCs. Global personal computer shipments have mostly declined since the third quarter of 2011. There is a growing trend of consolidation, with HP, Lenovo, and Dell taking up an increasing share of the PC market."

The PC is dead. Long live the PC.

N0TZU and K4LYL like this.
  3. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

You are spinning numbers and misleading folks. Like the other fellow you call a PC a desktop which is very misleading. Just like calling a LFP a lithium battery. PC is a very loose generic term that includes laptops, netbooks, and DESKTOPS TOWERS. It excludes tablets and cell phones.

So yeah the numbers are right if you lump them all together. Break it out by device, and Desktop sales have fallen off the cliff. You don't have to be in denial, just believe your eyes and count all the desktop retail and repair shops are gone. Walk into Worse Buy and take a look sometime. Good luck finding a few desktops other than the one under the sales counter not for sale. Lots of laptops and netbooks.

Look at Dell's Website. Yeah a few desktops for gammers and not one over $800 base anymore, they give them away.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well as longs they are giving them away I'll keep one in my shack for dedicated service. It ain't going nowhere. And it meets my needs. My Apple MacBook, iPad, iPhone, and iPod meet other needs.

And the next time I walk into a large computing center I'll be sure to tell them how behind the times they are when I see a plethora of desktop towers. Why just the other day I saw a bunch at the local Sherriff's department. Did you ever think it's because "they give them away"? They can match the performance of the latest whiz bang laptop for half the price. As a taxpayer that doesn't bother me at all.

5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So, the Dell (PC) that I am typing on, right now, the one that I bought last year, does not exist in your universe?

Strange, that. My universe and yours does not seem at all congruent... The brave new world has not caught up to my universe yet.

Oh and by the way, the word that you consistently miss spell is "gamer". As in someone who plays games. A minor point, to be sure, but it just grates on my one nerve that I have left...

gam·er
    /ˈɡāmər/

noun
    noun: gamer; plural noun: gamers
    a person who plays video games or participates in role-playing games.
    "every gamer has suffered from small-screen videos"

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Give them away? LOL, how many gamers buy the base unit? Select a few options and the price goes up dramatically.

Dell's been having very good growth in their client compute business with commercial workstations and desktops as well as notebooks. And they are focusing on high end desktops for gamers.

The consumer market is where the desktops have really died. But notebooks in that market have suffered too because of mobile devices.

7. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Well that base unit price use to be $1600, and most gamers roll their own. But again that is a special purpose machine. Now a gaming laptop from Dell base price is $2000 because that is where the market is at.

8. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

I get it now, you have never had any biz experience. By giving them away means selling at or near cost. Give you another clue there my friend, they give printers away at cost because they will milk you for ink.
    Well ask a nurse to call you a cab so you can get out of the nursing home and see what the modern world is doing. Time to clean the closet out and get rid of the 8-track tapes and buggy whips.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you forgot to say: OK, Boomer!

Right?

I'll see your 8-track and bet a cassette deck, OK?

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

???
    Perhaps not since retiring.
    I still get inside a couple of business offices.
    "Giving them away" was a quote from you.
    Apparently my sarcasm was unnoticed.

11. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Yes sir and glad to see you have a good sense of humor.

12. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Mine too :)

13. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Sarcasm is not PC :D