ad: M2Ant-1

ON THE AIR Magazine Goes DIGITAL in January

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The new and successful magazine ON THE AIR (OTA)is designed to help beginners learn and enjoy the excitement of ham radio. If you are newly licensed and are asking 'now what?' OTA is made for you!

OTA is published by the ARRL six times a year and is available as part of ARRL membership.

In January 2020, ON THE AIR goes digital for available download over the internet.

See: http://www.arrl.org/on-the-air-magazine

[​IMG]

K5CYN, W1BR and N0TZU like this.
  2. K4WPC

K4WPC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good move by the ARRL to reach out to many seeking an alternative (helping hand) to the "sink or swim" approach many find when first entering the hobby.

W1BR and W1YW like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I'm out of touch, I missed it in my reads and never heard of it.
    Have they been sending it after members or what?
    I have two technician class operators in my family that are both League members and they've never heard of it either, (my 16 year old grandson is a life ARRL member and he says he hasn't heard of it).
    So is it still available in print or only digital???

Ok I just checked it out on the link and I see that you have the option of either qst monthly or that new one which was only available every other month, now it's digital I guess,

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  4. K0UO

5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

It took them this long to realize print media is in the museum with 8-track tapes. No wonder the hobby is struggling with younger generations. Stuck with yesterdays technology and mindset. Look at the picture and see who the target audience is. Picture does not look right does it? That should be a cell phone in a kids hand.

Here is a question that will show ho wold and out of touch some of us are. Do you think the PC is modern technology. Chances are if you do think a PC is modern technology tells me you are likely 40 years old or older because PC are NOT MODERN TECHNOLOGY, and most 30 and younger may not even know what a PC is like a desktop telephone. In an office today, you will find very few if any desktop PC's. Today Tablets, Net Books, and Cell Phone has taken the Desktop PC place. Even CD's and DVD's are history.

K8XG and K0UO like this.
  6. K0UO

I will give the league credit: The January QST, after I received it, is one of the better Diversified QSTs that I've've seen in a long time. I think this is very positive

W1BR, N0TZU and K8XG like this.
  7. AD6FR

AD6FR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what offices you've visited, but PC's are everywhere in the business world. Also, there's a tactile quality in paper magazines that is absent when reading from a tablet.

KD4AYU, W1BR, N3AB and 2 others like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've read all year.

I regularly work (i.e., almost daily) in Amazon.com HQ office towers in Seattle, as well as the Google tower, the Facebook tower, Weyehauser HQ in Seattle, F5 Networks, Microsoft main campus in Redmond and Bellevue, Starbucks HQ Seattle, Micron Corporation HQ in Boise, T-Mobile HQ in Bellevue, Boeing, and dozens and dozens of similar global corporate office situations.

I give sales presentations in 7 states (WA, OR, ID, MT, AK, HI and UT) in major offices and can attest with absolutely 100% assurance that PCs/Win10 Laptops are the way of the world and it ain't changing soon.

You are just plain flat WRONG. Sure tablets and cell phones abound - but the Win10 PC/Laptop is absolutely UBIQUITOUS in the current office world.... with 20 year olds, 21 year olds, 22 year olds, on up to 25 and 30 and 35 year olds and up - ALL not only very familiar with but used all day every day.

Dave
    W7UUU

W6KKO, K2NCC, AF9US and 9 others like this.
  9. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

No I am not. All modern technology companies, including mine, I have worked for and with like Verizon ATT, AEP all use Laptops and Tablets for the very simple reason you cannot take your PC and work remotely. Kind of hard to travel and give all those presentations with your desktop like you claim. You are also over 40 like me.

Sure you can find a few PC around like in engineering where a few run AutoCad and need the PC for the video card, or a test lab with a PC pretending to be a VT-220 terminal.

All modern companies I know of use laptops, netbooks, and tablets with a Docking Station at their desk, and take their laptop with them to work from home or remote locations using VPN. Laptops today are just as powerful as PC today.

Having said that I do have a PC at home I built and upgrade from time to time like a lot of people do who either are gammers or have grand kids who are gammers and like coming over to Pappa D's house to play.

Go to any retail place that sells such things and look around. Not many PC's to choose from is there?

Been a classroom in the last 10 years. No PC's there either.Just laptops and cell phones.

I know, ridiculous right?

Perhaps reality. Biz are moving or have already moved to Cloud Apps and Services. The latest generation does not use PC, and not many before that generation. PC's are not needed, offer any advantages anymore other than high end video cards for gammers, autocad, video production, and are not MOBILE.

So who is ridiculous now?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    K0UO likes this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here: Dave goes into the front end, I go into the production and packaging areas of manufacturers. They could not run a production line without a PC and a network monitoring and driving the production. Smart phones and tablets won't survive that environment and they usually do not have ready interfacing to the outside devices.

W1BR, W9FL, N3AB and 3 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

PC or NOT PC...

'ON THE AIR' is da nutz:)

N0TZU likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they double as backup for the loo when you run out of Charmin;-) Or as fish and chips containers...very 'PC' !

;-)

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

So on December 24, 2019, ON THE AIR has been deemed a success? Before the official "download launch" of mid-January 2020?

By who?

14. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This difference is the result of relying on "personal windshield surveys"...there are several technology magazines which collect systematic survey data on PC et al. technology use by LOCATION in the organization sphere. Everybody's personal mileage varies from the full, population perspective. Happy New Year!

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The print edition izz...