ad: CQMM-1

ON QRZ but will not confirm the contact.

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by VK2RK, Jan 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N4ZAW

N4ZAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't say I'm not sympathetic, but I'm not changing my habits either. Please don't misunderstand, as I'm not against trying new things, or methods when it comes to this hobby. After all, those are primary fascists of this hobby.
    But I AM "old school"...
    I'm just not using multiple methods. I only have a paper log, and only QSL via mailed "wallpaper" card --- Just like H.P. Maxim did. I realize this could be perceived as 'inconvenient' to some, especially, those DXers working towards one certificate, or another. but I always do QSL when a contact requests QSL. Hell, I like returned "wallpaper" myself. I even like SWLers, CBer and other radio service paper.

2. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you might be referring to facets, not the Mussolini... you know tha thing!

WN1MB, N4ZAW, K8VHL and 1 other person like this.
  3. K8VHL

K8VHL Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Not exactly. Your electronic QRZ Logbook lists six QSOs.

N4ZAW and K3XR like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

But no confirmations.

N4ZAW likes this.
  5. N2ARO

N2ARO Ham Member QRZ Page

I find the QRZed logbook to be easy and convenient.

When I'm on the radio, I'm always on the logbook page anyway, because I can put the callers call sign into the search prompt right there. When the QSO is done, bam, put the signal report and freq in and you're done and onto the next call. And it leaves a nice little flag of the callers country next to his name in your book, which is always nice to see. It's almost a no brainer and to simple not to use! And most important, you make a bunch of hams happy! And isn't that what it's all about? :D

I'll have to try LoTW since I went to all the trouble to open it. Just taking a quick glance, it doesn't look very sharp or modern. Kinda dull I think, but I'll try it eventually.

KI6BTY likes this.
  6. NC8R

NC8R Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, LoTW doesn't look as nice as the QRZ logbook at first glance. However, you will really appreciate LoTW when you start thinking about applying for WAS, DXCC, etc. I upload my logs to QRZ and then forward them to LoTW. That gives myself and others credit for QRZ awards, as well as awards like ARRL DXCC.

KI6BTY and N2ARO like this.
  7. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

. Sometimes I bang a straight key, more often I use a MIC, I spin the VFO, have a few comms, sometimes I write station notes.
    When I serve as NET control, or make sweep calls I write call signs of all check ins, and traffic status.
    I find your "Disgust" to be un-warranted, and your accounting of 2.9% "bothering to please you" sort of indicates that your snivelling diatribe may remain ineffective toward the CLEAR majority of us 97% that DO NOT BOTHER with your paper chase.
    Best of luck to you in pursuit of the hobby.

WR2E likes this.
  8. N4ZAW

Compared to how many page look-ups???
    'Zackly . I do not use it. Either that, or I have six QSO's since 1992. ;)

9. N4ZAW

LOL! Obviously, 'spell check' has again let me down with a single click. ;)
    Thanks for catching that.

10. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I just checked and of my W4PG contacts, I have 20,054 in the log and 56% are confirmed on QRZ. My W4PG/0 contacts, from the new South Dakota QTH, I have 571 contacts and 64% are confirmed. Seems pretty good to me.

..........Bob

11. VK4DJC

VK4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you confirm contacts in the orz logbook ?? David VK4DJC.

12. K8VHL

K8VHL Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Go to the Logbook Help tab for a great explanation of confirmations.

13. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I continue to be amazed at human nature, that so many people try to impose their views on others, that so many expect others to do things the way they want, instead of respecting other people.

Fact is people have different values, priorities, ways of doing things, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong in not logging a QSO in the place that "someone" demands.

So. Someone believes everyone else should confirm contacts. That is nice. But that is just a belief.

I have absolutely no expectation that anyone else will confirm a contact.

I have no obligation to confirm any contact. I choose to log every contact and I choose to upload my logs every now and then to LoTW. But those are my choices. Not for anyone else to demand.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    WG7X likes this.
  14. N2ARO

N2ARO Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to agree with most of what you say, but logging is so stupid easy and fast on QRZed, it is almost criminal that more operators don't do it.

I don't chase awards, but I'm proud of the QSO's I make and I like to look at the log and the places and the flags of the places with whom I've contacted. Heck, even my wife likes to look at the QRZ logbook. But, I also do it to help other operators that do chase awards. To me, that's part of the spirit of amateur radio and it might just be the easiest thing I can do to help others. So if you want to help other operators, consider keeping a QRZ logbook and confirm those QSO's.

WB4DAH likes this.
  15. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do keep a QRZ logbook, I just don't keep it up to date. But as long as I keep LoTW up to date then anyone on LoTW or QRZ can get those confirmations.

And while it may be easy for most people, there are some ( avid contesters ) who make 100,000+ contacts per year and log with N1MM+. From there it is just a matter of where to upload the logs periodically.

Unfortunately there is no one standard online logbook. You may prefer QRZ. Others may prefer LoTW or some other. I think QRZ linking with LoTW is great. I just wouldn't expect someone who makes a lot of contacts to upload to a dozen or more different online logbooks.

Until recently I had slow unreliable internet with hard data limits. Which means it was impractical to upload except during off-peak times.

Like some others I have given up on eQSL. I am happy to confirm with actual QSL cards or LoTW ( or QRZ via LoTW ).

K3XR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.