ad: Schulman-1

ON QRZ but will not confirm the contact.

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by VK2RK, Jan 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK2RK

VK2RK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems that many operators are not willing to play the game and rob other operators from points required to obtain awards.
    I find it disgusting that in having made 1336 contacts since I started using QRZ in the knowledge that the greater number of these contacts are with people on QRZ as my log program fetches this data from QRZ only 382 bothered to register their contact. 2.9% bother to do the right thing, the biggest offenders are USA stations, how am I ever going to achieve the number of worked states in the USA when operators will not bother to log the contact, plus when the individual operators are requested for a confirmation they just ignore the request. Is this what this hobby has come to?

2E0BKU, M7LCS and N3WVB like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's simple: not everyone everywhere logs contacts. SOME hams just want to be on the radio and just don't log. SOME (many?) hams do not log on QRZ but prefer to send their logs to LoTW or ClubLog, or HRDLog or eQSL. Not EVERYONE uses QRZ logging.

IF You also use ARRL Log of the World (LoTW) you can download that log into QRZ directly and any confirmations there will become confirmations here.

But the reality is, it's a hobby and not everyone does it YOUR way so that YOU can get awards like Worked All States.

It can take YEARS for folks to earn various awards - it's not automatic like buying something at a shop and expecting a receipt to be handed to you. It's not a 1:1 ratio of "work station, collect point" - It's a HOBBY for most (all?) and not everyone enjoys the hobby in the same ways.

The bright side: if you ENJOY making contacts, just keep doing it!! Over and over - work all the stations you have time for - have chats on SSB, take up CW or RTTY, run hours on end with FT8 and FT4, play with legacy digital modes like PSK31, put up antennas for bands you don't already use, etc. etc. etc. Just get on the air every chance you get, and enjoy the journey - fun and rewarding things in life are not always about the destination.

NO ONE gets even close to 100% confirmations, and your rate is not unusual for using just QRZ without also adding in confirmations from LoTW as well.

The contacts will come - and the confirmations as well.

Good luck - and if I see you on the bands calling CQ, I WILL work you and I WILL confirm the State of Washington for you on QRZ :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WB4DAH, K2WH, K0UO and 7 others like this.
  3. VK2RK

[QUOTE="
    IF You also use ARRL Log of the World (LoTW) you can download that log into QRZ directly and any confirmations there will become confirmations here.
    /QUOTE]

OK, then why not allow eQSL as well as I have over 2000 contacts... Do you think that maybe we have far too many QSL systems that are competing with each other? Makes me think that QRZ subscription is worth the money.

KQ4CM likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Because eQSL is not a "double-blind" system like LoTW and QRZ. That means both sides of a QSO on eQSL can see all their data - even if it doesn't match. It makes it really easy to "cheat" at eQSL, since users can simply view another user's information and change theirs accordingly to "make a confirmation" even if they recorded the details wrong or just made the whole thing up.

LoTW and QRZ do not work that way.

YOU must enter your data which he can't see, and HE must enter his data which you can't see. The entries BOTH must "meet in the middle and match" - hence the name "double blind". No match? No confirmation - no QSL.

It's the same at ClubLog and HRDLog as well. ONLY eQSL sticks to the "easy to cheat" system of fully open data. You'll also never see major DXpeditions bother with eQSL.

That's why. And it's not going to change at LoTW nor at QRZ. Both organizations will ever ONLY use the "Double Blind" system to maintain total integrity of the confirmations.

Dave
    W7UUU

KE2CIE, KQ4CM, KI6BTY and 5 others like this.
  5. VK2RK

I find this double blind to be the case with eQSL a very popular logging system, I am not able to obtain missing log details from my log that I have worked unless the other part of the entry is in my log. so maybe eQSL have changed things.
    Never the less the whole system is useless, I try to register on loTW and that is mission impossible.
    So I give up, once my QRZ sub expires I will not renew.. Not worth it
    Thanks

6. W7UUU

No worries - was simply answering your questions

Dave
    W7UUU

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. VK2RK

I understand David, however the slack attitude of those that subscribe to QRZ and don't bother to confirm contacts is the issue, that was my original point.
    I have logged so many USA contacts that easily could obtain the US award had they confirmed the contacts.
    Thus nothing to do with eQSL and the other logging systems that are the cause of QSL fragmentation taking place, I should not be forced to subscribe to so many systems, BTW in an attempt to download loTW to subscribe that link failed... here is another point of frustration...
    I guess next you will say volunteers... heard that before.

Sorry I am frustrated
    I do appreciate your feedback 73's

WW8MLL, WB4DAH, KL7KN and 1 other person like this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Robert, I gave up chasing a paper some time back, as have many others. I will paper QSL with an SASE - it is just too expensive these days to do otherwise - YMMV.

It isn't (to me) about being a slacker - it is a matter of expense as a retiree on a fixed income.

I do maintain a eQSL account, for those that do still chase paper - FWIW.

Sorry for your frustration, but this is a hobby of individuals....

VK2RK and K3XR like this.
  9. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on LoTW until I found it necessary to format my laptop and then I was no longer on LoTW. Plus, it turned into a huge, ring-a-round the rosy pain to get back on, no doubt due to my inabilities with understanding button pushing logic of programmers and just getting impatient. So if someone has a detailed, accurate step-by-step sequence of pushing buttons THAT WORKS I will give it a shot. But not until.

VK2RK likes this.
  10. VK2RK

Electronic logs require no paper so I think its just other issues at play.

11. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it can get frustrating for those who seek to collect the various awards however there are countries that simply do not require stations to log their contacts. It's not intended to be a slight at you, it's simply that they don't care to use their time entering data for whatever the reason. Everyone is entitled to their choice when it comes to participation.

KP4SX likes this.
  12. VK2RK

Nothing to do with countries, US operators are the worst.

WB4DAH likes this.
  13. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Next time better call me. Sure I'm not a rare territory. Sure I may log you wrong due whatever my fault, my computer may die before I upload the log to LoTW (that's linked with QRZ logbook) so I wouldn't be able to recover the data, or anything else could happen. Still the probability of getting the confirmation from me remains pretty close to 100%. And you are welcome to call me again especially on other band/mode.

Logging the contacts is mandatory in my country. Only exception is allowed for mobile and handportable contacts. If the requirement will ever be removed I'm going to keep logging anyway. It's no way hard task and gives me good feedback for understanding my achievements.

KI6BTY, WB4DAH, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  14. VK2RK

Its great that you are willing to do so, however it seems you are a rarity, yes I do understand that things can go wrong as you mentioned, but I have asked hundreds or requests from those that have not confirmed, I can see that they received the request, but do not bother to confirm.
    Lets face it QRZ does make it easy to do so.

UT7UX likes this.
  15. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Except something really extraordinary to happen, my card is 100% sure via LoTW/QRZ. It costs me nothing so I sincerely cannot get why some people don't do the same.

Your frustration Robert is clearly understood by me. Once I wanted to make some contacts over SATs. Contacts themselves were easy and fun but confirmation weren't such; they - confirmations I mean, were just absent.

Since I rather prefer to tune, listen, and answer someone's call than CQ'ing by my own, I found myself pretty often ignoring stations that are not registered in LoTW. I have already got some few unconfirmed territories that I'm still cannot work again to confirm so what's the sense of spending time and effort in a pileup if the DX will never confirm?

Never mind.

VK2RK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.