On Google News- Morse code hidden in song lyrics

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB5ZCR, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Rush YYZ. Too obvious.

Haken Affinity. Too great for humanity. Really.

Spinal Tap. Uh, never mind.

2. AK4XL

AK4XL Ham Member QRZ Page

Not at all, but as the video below shows it's easier just to type the title in Google. The point is that the lyrics Google showed were a direct copy/paste from the Genius site, with no credit given. Now (since Google got publicly caught), when you see song lyrics on Google, at the end it gives credit to the lyrics site (and not Genius) where Google got the lyrics. As the article says, the Genius site had been complaining many times that Google was displaying lyrics from the Genius site without giving credit, and THEN Genius put up lyrics with this encoding of Morse code in two different types of apostrophes.

If you had read the article ...

Here's the video. This works using "modern" character sets - the original 7-bit ASCII that some of us old-time computer users may remember only has one single-quote ' and one double-quote ". They call it watermarking, I'd call it steganography, but whatever:

3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you travel off the interstates, it is still handy to have a paper map unless your GPS system is not internet-dependent. Lots of rural areas have no cell phone signal.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're both right. "Steganography" is hiding a message in a piece of cover data. "Watermarking" is steganography for the purpose of tagging or annotate the cover data, usually for DRM purposes.

5. KB5ZCR

KB5ZCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I still think its cool that they used Morse Code to hide their message in the text (not in the music, the text). They likely could have used many different methods to mark their work, but chose Morse Code.
    I seem to be one of few that are impressed with this.
    After over 100 years, Morse Code still has a use in today's tech driven world.

Thanks, Tim
    KB5ZCR

AD5HR likes this.