omnirig with TS-590SG

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Prop., Cluster, & Other Software' started by KB1MM, Sep 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1MM

KB1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all...I am at my wits end. I cannot get Omnirig (latest version) to talk to my TS-590SG...at all. I have downloaded the latest win10 x64 drivers from Silicon Labs...I have watched several videos that are on Youtube, even the HRO one that makes it look so simple.

I am using the correct port when I try to set it up...I don't know what else to do. It seems in my searches on line that for some people it works first crack while others just finally give up and it seems that they are doing the same exact set up steps. I'm not one to give up but I am officially frustrated.

Thoughts???

2. KB1MM

Ok, it appears I misunderstood what I was supposed to see when I set up omnirig...it really gives no indication that you're actually connected to the radio...

I am still trying to get my TS-590SG synced with my RSP1a. It shows they are connected in the SDRuno software but one isn't controlling the other....that's a problem for another day.

3. K6RUV

K6RUV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im not sure what the issue is but one of the most important things to set up is the baud rate. Not just at the 590sg but with omnirig as well as your SDR program. Im using 9600 baud, Dat bits 8, Parity none, stop bits 1, RTS high, DTR high, poll 500, Timeout 4000. Since you have a 590sg you may want to look into Kenwoods ARCP CAT software. I would highly recommend it. you can use it with your SDR software and a logging program once you set up a port sharing utility. Also I would also recommend SDR Console as your software instead of uno. I believe you will be happier. I hope some of this helps, it can be a real brain teaser to get these things all working together but it can be done

KB1MM likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume that you're referring this video:
    TS 590SG Panadapter with the SDRplay RSP (AN005)

I used the procedure it describes to connect my TS590S successfully to an RSP1a using SDRuno so that they track each other.

Two exceptions:
    Since --unlike the "SG"-- the "S" does not have the DRVout-as-antenna capability, I use an external MFJ-1708B-sdr antenna-switch.
    Also, since I'm using N1MM+ Logger (that is not OmniRig compatible), I use port-splitting to put the 590 and RSP on separate virtual ports.

The settings that I use are:
    Speed: 115,200
    8-N-1
    RTS High
    DTR High
    Polling Interval 11ms
    Timeout Interval 4,000ms

As K6RUV posted -- they have to be the same in SDRuno, OmniRig and the "SG"

Also, be sure that the COM port numbers in the "SG" and OmniRig are the same.
    Also that you click on RSYN1 utton at the top of the SDRuno "RX Control" widow so that it shows on (orange).

Hope this helps.

KB1MM likes this.
  5. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you change com port speeds on a Kenwood, you need to power cycle or they don’t take effect. Easy to get into a chicken and egg puzzle.

KB1MM likes this.
  6. KB1MM

Thanks all for your suggestions. I am in a busy life "loop" right now so I haven't had a chance to check out these suggestions but definitely will in the next week or so. I'll let you all know how I make out. BTW KS2G, yes that is the video I referred to in the OP.

I'll get it figured out eventually when life slows down a bit.