Omni-Rig and HDSDR and FTDX-1200

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by WB5NEN, Dec 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB5NEN

WB5NEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Update. Here’s the good news: OmniRig and HDSDR and even HRD are still happy and reliably connecting. I’m really enjoying my new panadapter capabilities. The bad news: I have totally failed to get RF out of the PC, and it continues to randomly shut itself down when I’m transmitting. And there is probably a half a pound of ferrite chokes now installed. So I’m still working on this. I may make a separate posting (in greater detail) on QRZ for any suggestions. Frustrating.

Richard

2. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your ferrite chokes have as many turns as you can fit? One pass through a ferrite doesn't do much, it's an N-squared thing, so 3 turns through 1 ferrite (as shown below) equals a single pass through 9 ferrites. Just asking because I didn't notice it mentioned.

If yes, my suggestion... Tie the radio and computer chassis to the same ground. Since computers don't typically have a nice big ground terminal like radios do, you probably need to put a ring connector on a wire, and connect it to a screw on the computer chassis. Don't depend on some roundabout path like "they are both plugged into grounded outlets." Thinks might seem nominally grounded but when a KW of RF kick in, weird things happen. I say this because in my job as a Controls Engineer I've had weird things happens when there are different grounds. It only takes a couple of minutes to eliminate that as a concern.

[​IMG]

3. VE4AJM

VE4AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of antenna do you have? That might be a clue as to the source of the problem. I have a fan dipole in my attic, run 500 watts into it, and have no problem with my computer, and i have taken no precautions for the computer whatsoever, and the antenna switch sits right on top of it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  4. WB5NEN

WB5NEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Gents,

I’m homing in on the problem (I think) and will keep you posted. One of the problems is it’s intermittent...an attempted fix might fail in five minutes or five days. I have to try things and wait to see if the problem returns. Finding the “fix” is like peeling an onion...

Yes, I use multiple turns of cable through ferrite. Yes, I have a good ground connector on the PC and it is tied to the ground on the transceiver.

Question: Recall those handy little rectangular ferrite RF suppressors sold by Radio Shack? You could open them, wind several turns of cable, and snap them shut. Sweet. I used them for years to successfully end RFI problems at my house, my station, and even on the stereo owned by the grouchy lawyer who lived across the street. And I have some of these on cables in back of the PC. But.....what ferrite “mix” are they? Does anyone know? The mix matters.

Richard

5. VE4AJM

VE4AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect something is wrong, either with your antenna, or the computer hardware. It should not be that sensitive to transmitting. You might solve it through ferrites, but I think you are masking a problem.