Omni-Rig and HDSDR and FTDX-1200

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by WB5NEN, Dec 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. WB5NEN

WB5NEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using Omni-Rig V. 2.1 and HDSDR V. 2.8 with my RTL- SDR and Yaesu rig.

HDSDR, the SDR, and the Yaesu are very happy receiving using the Yaesu IF of 40.455 MHz. But...when I try to connect to the Yaesu via Omni- Rig, I’m told “Rig is not Responding.”

I know I am connected to the correct Com Port and it is working. In fact, the same cable and same Com Port work happily when I use Ham Radio Deluxe, for other purposes, so the cable and port are known to be good. And Baud rates all match and are set correctly. And, no, HRD is not running and competing with Omni-Rig.

I have spent too many hours on menus within HDSDR and Omni-Rig trying to get Omni-Rig to connect to the Yaesu. And considerable time on YouTube, too. But all I get is “Rig is not responding.” Yes, the Yaesu is turned on.

This could be many things, but suggestions, anyone?

Richard
    WB5NEN

2. VE4AJM

VE4AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would try an older version of hdsdr / omni rig and see if you have the same problem.

3. WB5NEN

That was a very good idea. But I failed in my search for an older version of HDSDR. And I can’t try an older version of OmniRig because (darn it) the current version of HDSDR (that it appears I’m stuck with) demands a current version of OmniRig. I’m still stuck.

Richard
    WB5NEN

4. VE4AJM

HDSDR 2.8 omnirig 1.19 is what I downloaded about 3-4 months ago.

5. WB5NEN

HDSDR 2.8 is what I downloaded, too, last week, and am currently using. It is the most current version. The HDSDR website (to my knowledge) does not offer the older versions for download. And my HDSDR 2.8 demanded OmniRig 2.0 or better. To comply with that mandate, the version of OmniRig that I found was 2.1. And so, I’m kind of stuck with HDSDR 2.8, and OmniRig 2.1. And they dislike my rig. Frustrating.

6. VE4AJM

7. WB5NEN

You’re right. I missed that, will give it a try and let you know.

R

8. WB5NEN

No luck. I carefully deleted all of HDSDR and OmniRig, ran CC Cleaner to remove any artifacts, did a reboot, re-installed HDSDR V 2.8 and the Afreet OmniRig V 1.19. Verified all settings and speeds agreed. But still, I get “rig is not responding.” I again closed HDSDR and opened Ham Radio Deluxe to again verify the same port and same connection were good. Connected perfectly. I think I’m defeated, but I certainly appreciate your suggestions.

Richard

9. VE4AJM

Are there any options for the type of cable you use to connect the rig to the computer? I've experienced, and read of others, that have problems with usb to rs232 converters. Maybe your rig doesn't use rs232, but if it does, a dedicated rs232 board on a pc, and a proper rs232 cable may prove more reliable.

As well, and forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but always turn on the radio first, then try to connect with omnirig, not the other way around. Are there any options on the rig for cat control you can play with? Such as rts (ready to send)? Have you tried all the options in that regard in setting up omnirig?

10. VE4AJM

I see that the FTDX-1200 uses an RS232 connection at the rig. I would strongly urge you to get an rs-232 serial board for your computer, if that is not what you are already using. USB converters are problematic.