OMNI 6 versus OMNI 6 PLUS

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WU0L, Jul 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WU0L

WU0L Subscriber QRZ Page

Can anyone tell me the difference between a TenTec OMNI 6 and a OMNI 6 Plus?

Mark WU0L

2. K5URU

K5URU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Mark,

Just for kicks, I Googled "Ten Tec Omni 6 Plus Difference" and found this old thread from 1997:
    http://lists.contesting.com/_tentec/1997-07/msg00156.html

I also found an advertisement from 1997 for the Omni 6 Plus on Alan, N5NA's archive of the now-defunct TenTecWiki.org website.
    http://www.qsl.net/n5na/images/adgallery/90-99/1997-05_564.jpg

Blake K5URU

In the thread, Peter KD7MW asked several questions and Tom W4BQF answered. Here are the main points.

Q: What are the differences are between the Omni 6 and 6 Plus? I've seen the current QST ad, I need the technical details.

A: There are very few technical details on the difference between the two. The Plus only adds the designed-in DSP and the additional 9 Mhz filter.

Q: There are 3 options for upgrading the Omni 6 with some of the features of the 6 Plus. What exactly are these options?
    A: #1-Add the chips (IC's) for DSP. #2-Change the board for the additional 9 Mhz filter. #3-Have both #1 and #2 installed.

From the N5NA archive:

1997-05_564.jpg

3. N3UPM

N3UPM Ham Member QRZ Page

An Omni VI "Option 3" is essentially the same as the Plus. Later in the production run, some of the circuit boards were redesigned to use more SMT components. I just got a VI Plus made in 1998, wanted one since they came out. This one has the INRAD audio mod and filters, plus it was sent back to TT to be gone over. Only issue is that the frequency display is slightly off.

4. WU0L

WU0L Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to those that responded for the help. I got the OMNI 6 at an estate sale. I would say the rig and power supply are about 9.9 cosmetically. Seems to function perfectly. It is so easy operate. I had a Paragon that I loved, but it had the dreaded phase loop unlocked problem that TenTec could not fix with two tries. They had a bad run of circuit boards that was really disgusting for us Ten Tec fans. They OMNI 6 is almost exactly like that Paragon. I had thought about selling it, but I think I may be keeping it. So much simpler than my OMNI 7 and performance is very good. Looks like the audio mod from Inrad is still available but not the Inrad filters. This rig has all the slot filled with the Ten Tec filters.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an OMNI-VI, but never the "Plus," and don't recall the difference.

The VI was an excellent rig, although quite "large!" Takes up lots of desk space. If you have the space, there's no reason not to love it.

I didn't dump the VI because I didn't like it: I only sold it because I bought an Orion, which does everything the VI does but has a second receiver and IF-DSP, a spectrum scope and some other stuff. But in terms of just "working stuff," the VI was every bit as good.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an Omni VI on permanent loan to a family member. Mine has the +3 upgrade. I can tell you that it's got a fine receiver.

7. W1AAF

W1AAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark
    The Omni 6 + has an upgraded digital signal processor algorithm as compared to the generic Omni 6. The "+" upgrade is effected by swapping out several IC chips. I have the "+" model and I am satisfied with its performance, but I have never compared it to the un-modified Omni.

In my setup, I run the Omni audio output into an MFJ 784B DSP filter and use the MFJ for weak signal and QRM relief. This combination works very well. It is superb at pulling weak stations out of the noise that I would otherwise not be able to copy. In addition, the MFJ notch filter downstream of the Omni works great and can easily separate two signals which are very close together in frequency.

Check out the QST November 1997 Product review for the "+" details.
    Mark W1AAF