ad: chuckmartin

Olivia seems to be picking up

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had 6 Olivia 20m QSO's into Europe, from my HL1ZIX location, tonight. Pretty exciting to rag chew via digital. Was on 14.107.5

Suddenly, I feel I am no longer alone!

W8IXI and W4RAV like this.
  2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll have to listen around that frequency. Which Olivia mode? I recall using one of the wider modes like 16/1000 above 14.100. Very few U.S. hams were even aware that the activity above 14.1 existed.

3. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

100s of modes available to us, be sure to sample more of the buffet! :)

FT8 is still king at the moment, but I've had good luck with other modes, even "exotic" ones.

Happy hunting!

K3DCW likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

It seems to be any of the 3 main Olivia modes, which are easily seen by bandwidth: 8/250, 16/500, or 32/1000. I have seen all 3, but EU seems to like 32/1000, when doable? My QSO with Sweden and JA were in 32/1000. I wasn't able to "cut it" with England and Swiss on those, so I was in both 8/250 and 16/500 to reach them. Wasn't actually the best night for prop. The JA op is JA1RZD, and he has a graphic I will steal and post from his QRZ page (I'm sure he won't mind):

[​IMG]

I have seen it mentioned by various ops that the 14107.5 area (can be a bit up or down from that, also) has become more common between Asia and Europe due to invasion by the FT8 plague.

On another note, I enjoy calling in ThrobX and DominoEX, but rarely get answers from them. I have had a few answers in MFSK16.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 1:38 AM
  5. KZ4KX

KZ4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep seeing something on the waterfall while on JT 65 and cant seem to decode it. It sounds like JT 65 only faster and last about as long as ft-8. Any idea what it is?

6. KE0EYJ

I was pumping DominoEX Micro into the USA last night. Could have been me. That looks like JT65 and is thin, like FT8.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 6:07 AM
  7. KE0EYJ

Yeah, bet it was one of the Domino or Thor modes. Either Domino EX4 or Micro. First one is Domino EX4:

upload_2018-8-11_15-43-20.png

And this is DominoEX Micro:
    upload_2018-8-11_15-44-28.png

The Thor modes look almost identical, as well. Only the preamble looks different. Thor has angled slashes at the start, like this. Here is Thor4, with starting slashes:

upload_2018-8-11_15-50-27.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 7:50 AM
  8. KE0EYJ

Was on again, tonight on 20m. A few more on Olivia from the EU, and a Russian running Contestia 8/250. I managed QSOs in DominoEx and Thor, as well. Someone tried answering me with Throb when I called in ThrobX4, but they seemed to guess the mode wrong, and did not get my RXID.

W4RAV likes this.
  9. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Olivia seems to be picking up a bit as a good weak signal mode where you can actually have a QSO.

I have a half dozen or so recently, mostly Olivia 8/250. Some of the "wider" Olivia modes will work even at or below the noise level.

10. KE0EYJ

I like Olivia. I like Thor 16 and MFSK16 better. There is a such a huge lag with Olivia, but it does work well.

I'm happy to have a QSO in any!