Olivia frequencies, DX modes Logging help

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7HN, Jun 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K7HN

K7HN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

I’m reaching out to find out about any frequencies and modes where I can use Olivia for DX work. Or if somebody has a different digital DX mode they prefer, please let me know.

Since there are so many different modes of Olivia, I’d like to know which mode it is most used for DX work. Also, the frequency where it typically is done on 20 and 40 m.

Also, can anybody recommend a good logging program where people tend to “confirm“ the QSO? I’m having a difficult time getting my QSO‘s confirmed on QRZ.

Thanks!!

Larry
    K7HN

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

This lists some Olivia frequencies. http://hflink.com/olivia/ but in general most Olivia mode activity tends to be just above the frequencies for FT8, PSK31 etc. I don't think there are many people listening on "calling frequencies" so your exact frequency probably doesn't matter much.

The other variable is which submode variation to use. 16-500 seems to be most popular but there are other variations. It's a compromise between speed and weak signal abilities.

I've had a few qsos on 14.106.5 or 14.105.5 kHz with 32-1K. That seems to be popular in Europe. I think there might be some stations listening on those as a kind of calling frequency. Those frequencies are for a 1000 Hz audio center. I tend to tune my radio to 14.106.25 and center the audio at 1250 Hz which is the same thing but sounds better to my ears :) and the low end is not so low.

Contestia is a similar mode but a little faster. I haven't been on either mode for a while so I don't know how much activity there is these days.

Olivia mode can be fun. People tend to have real conversations on it but if you're mostly interested in just logging countries then it might not be the best mode for that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck with all that.

Almost all of my Olivia contacts have been 20 - 40 minute easy going ragchews. Not sure any of them were outside NA.

4. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Larry,

Olivia is one of my favorite modes. Obviously it's being decimated by FT8 just like PSK. However....

There is still activity in the top two khz of of the traditional psk segments. On 20 and 40 that's just below the FT8 segment. There's at least one net still going. And RSID is your friend.

As far as logging, eQSL does fairly well. HRDlog is "ok".

Best of luck!

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't done much with it, but I have a friend who is often bragging about the DX he works using the 14106.5/14105.5 32-1k. He says he regularly works Europeans he can't even hear with his ears. Olivia is very robust as well as a good weak signal mode, but it's not fast at all. I particularly enjoy it's ability to coaexist with QRM. One RTTY signal on top of an Olivia signal won't cause much problem - you can still copy the Olivia!

There are a ton of Qlivia nets on 3583 +/- 500 Hz.

6. K7HN

Thanks A LOT!! I probably should just set up the Joe Taylor modes, but I would like to do a little rag chewing too! Thank you as well for your kindness in the logging information. I really do appreciate it a lot!

Blessings,

Larry

7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Olivia is like a red-headed stepchild. In the end, don't let her become a beaten widower.

8. K7HN

Huh?

9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HFLink says 16/500 or 32/1000. I have not had very many contacts, but they have all been 8/500.

10. VA3API

VA3API Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting