Olivia activity

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by VK6YSF, Mar 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K8KJG

K8KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. I was unaware of that. I'm off load the latest FLDGI, and then I plan to try it. I'm also off to read about RSID.

Ken
    K8KJG

2. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy operating Olivia on 40 meters. But contacts are not as many as they used to be. Once in awhile I call CQ and get a reply but other nights I can sit there and call and call and no one answers.

I wish more hams would use that mode. Less canned macros are used, in fact I never use them. And I have had some great rag chews with that mode.

I always use RSID while calling CQ.

3. F1ABE

F1ABE Subscriber QRZ Page

Olivia is my favorite mode, i did 1022 qso on this mode, you find olivia signal around 14.107 Khz with 32/1000, 14.073 Khz with 8/250 or 16/500, 7.073 Khz with 8/250, 8/500 or 16/500 in evening for you and early morning for me, around 0400TU, everyday i look 40 meter olivia frequency.
    It's chat mode, i not use macro !

4. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all

I will be on Olivia 16/500 this Saturday 12:00 UTC 7.0725 MHz dial frequency. Any one want to attempt a contact please feel welcome.

http://vk6ysf.com/wspr_40m_20170319A.htm WSPR contacts seem to indicate this a good time and frequency for North America, Pacific, Australian East Cost etc.

Peter VK6YSF
    Northam Western Australia

5. VK6YSF

Family is out, so I’m in the shack early. Olivia 16/500 this Saturday 10:00 UTC 7.0725 MHz dial frequency.

6. KB3FEI

KB3FEI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Peter and I worked today about 1130 UTC for about 30 minutes on 7073.5 with Olivia 1600/500. Print varied up to 90% copy, with an average about 50%. Path closed to us about 1215 UTC. I used 70 watts to a ground mounted vertical; Peter reported 25 watts to a dipole up 12 meters. He said he used WSPR to determine path and propagation details. Perhaps he can update us on this process.
    Many thanks Peter for a very nice qso. de kb3fei, dale.

7. KJ4NT

KJ4NT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Olivia is the best mode if you like ragchews. check out hamspots.net and u can click on Olivia mode or any mode. You will see who is on where and I use vfo freq 14072 and run fldigi so on ther with the offset I work around 14073.5 Olivia 8/250 its the slowest mode but the best for copy , it gets through when nothing else will. abt 15 wpm so its easy typing. other modes are around on hamspots.net and the moderator is an Aussie. join it its free. chck out my QRZ page and u will see a list of freqs I use most. kj4nt is my call .I work Aus. NZ and Japan early evening hrs here so it would be early morning there . 73 and gud Olivia dx

8. VK6YSF

I work Dale KB3FEI Saturday evening / Saturday morning 11:30 to 12:15 UTC with Olivia 16/500. This contact was one of the most satisfying contact I have had for several reasons. First and foremost I got to work Dale for the first time and I was very appreciative of Dale's commitment to the experiment and getting up at 6:30 in the morning. Secondly this was my first real Olivia contact and second ever Olivia contact; proving to my satisfaction that the mode is as good as has been suggested. From my end in Western Australia the band was very noisy with several Asian station breaking into the channel and at no time was Dale's signal visible in the waterfall with Olivia indicating that the Dale's signal was S/N -10dB; this appears a very robust mode.
    Thirdly; this was not an accidental contact, I had arranged with Dale several days ago on QRZ to attempt this contact using Olivia and I then did some analysis of the path between Western Australia and the east coast of the United States using WISP. I did this on 20, 30 and 40m for 24 hour periods and down loaded all the pings from US stations in the area from the WSPRnet database and scatter graphed the data with MS Excel. See below. With this information I scheduled with Dale a contact for 12:00 +/- UTC on 40m. The rest is as they say is history, the band opened and closed almost precisely as predicted and this for me is a very exciting outcome and a technique I will develop further.
    Lastly; the drama of the contact. I had emailed Dale that I was in the shack early than expected and was calling CQ, Dale responded with no print and this went on for near half an hour. I was close to thanking Dale for the attempt and call it a night when I saw data fragments in the print and noticed KB3FEI, had I got only this I would have been happy, however then it broke into a full QSO, again almost as the WSPR data had predicted.

My set was:
    Equipment: TS-930 at 25W, Radio computer interface
    Software application: FLDigi
    Antenna: Multi-band dipole with T-Match tuner and 4-1 Current Balun

Dale - KB3FEI was running 70 watts to a ground mounted vertical

Thanks again Dale for the contact and really hope that we can do it again soon. :)

[​IMG]
    WSPR data scatter graphed.

Below print from the contact as the band opened.

VK6YSF VK6YSF de KB3FEI KB3FEI KB3FEI kn

:V<DC3>B5x<DC1>:<GS>' 8iE;,most no signal on the waterfall.

VK6YSF de KB3FEI got youj peter, about half print and almost no signal on the waterfall. btu Peter VK6YSF de KB3FEI k

>'<FS>BQ)<RS>R<ESC>

de VK6YSF

Got 70% of your last over so I hope this proves my prediction about the band.

Nothing in the water fall and i have some other station breaking over the channel.

Amazing......

btu de VK6YSF k

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  9. KB3FEI

KB3FEI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks again Peter for a very exciting qso. This is why I was licensed. Thanks also for the WSPR info. I have not used it but will take a closer look, as it provides data I can use. I certainly hope we will work again.
    You asked about robustness/efficiency of the various modes. Perhaps those with more experience or technical knowledge can add to the discussion.
    Thanks again for a very memorable contact. de kb3fei, dale.

10. KJ4NT

KJ4NT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had over 550 qlivia qso's so get on the bands a call CQ and then some more . don't give up . look on my QRZ page for the most used Freqs. Try another Olivia speed . 8/250 is the best for dx but some guys will only use other speeds and width so give the other ones a try. when they learn they will be on 8/250 not 16/500 etc. 73 kj4nt