ad: elecraft

Oliver Hardy Festival Special Event W4O

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K4UUG, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oct 3, 1200Z-2100Z, Harlem, GA. Columbia County Amateur Radio Club, W4O.
    http://ccarc.hamradioman.com/index.html
    The Oliver Hardy Festival Special Event Station - W4O.

28.360 21.260 14.260 7.260. QSL Certificate.

W4O Special Event Station, PO Box 800, Evans, GA 30809
    [​IMG]
    Oliver Hardy Festival – Harlem, GA

This festival which started in 1988 honors Harlem's favorite son, Oliver Hardy, who was one half of the famous comedy duo Laurel & Hardy. The festival features over 350 crafters, two stages of live entertainment, look-a-likes, and children's games and activities. Over 32,000 people attend each year.
    Oliver Hardy Festival
    P.O. Box 99
    Harlem, GA 30814

http://www.harlemga.org/ohfest.htm

http://www.laurelandhardymuseum.org/
    :)

2. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oliver Hardy Special Event Station -W4O

The Oliver Hardy Festival Special Event Station -Columbia County Amateur Radio Club. W4O. Oct 3, 1200Z-2100Z
    28.360 21.260 14.260 7.260. QSL Certificate.

W4O Special Event Station, PO Box 800, Evans, GA 30809. ccarc.hamradioman.com/index.html

[​IMG]

On the first Saturday of October, each year, the city of Harlem, Georgia celebrates the brithplace of Oliver Norvell Hardy (of Laurel and Hardy fame). Oliver Hardy was born in Harlem, and has always been a favorite son of this small community.

"Here's another fine mess you've gotten yourself into!" Oliver Hardy would have most likely said about the Festival honoring him. Harlem, a small town west of Augusta, is the birthplace of Oliver Hardy, the larger side of Laurel and Hardy, that most famous comedy duo that made successful comedy films for decades. The festival features over 200 craft booths filled with an usual assortment of crafts people, food vendors and novelty vendors. There is also a Look-A-Like contest, which has a lot of prominent citizens as contestants.
    Admission: Free!
    Parking: Free!
    Public is welcome
    To get to Harlem, take Exit #61, the Harlem/Appling exit, south from I-20. International flights arrive regularly at the Atlanta International Airport with connecting flights available to Augusta, Georgia.

For more information, call or write to:
    Oliver Hardy Festival
    City of Harlem
    PO. Box 99
    Harlem, Georgia 30814
    (706) 556-3448
    email: harlem_georgia@yahoo.com

[​IMG]

http://www.harlemga.org/ohfest.htm

:)

3. W9JR

W9JR Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope I can make a contact. L&H were my favorite duo ... even surpassing Abbott & Costello.

One of my favorite scenes is the softshoe dance scene in front of a tavern in "Way out West". Favorite song in that movie ... "On the Trail of the Lonesome Pine."

Wish I could make that festival some day.

4. K7FE/SK2017

K7FE/SK2017 QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member

I will add some trivia.

Oliver Hardy had a twin brother who was a physician in Las Vegas, Nevada when I was a child. Occasionally Dr Hardy did appear in Laural and Hardy movies, one was when they were doing mirror image tricks. The movie would show the "mirror" acting different than Oliver........That was Dr Hardy.

Most of the time Dr Hardy was just a good family physician in Vegas.

Terry, k7FE

5. K8AGB

K8AGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Oliver Hardy Brother

Hello from K8AGB, Presently in Augusta / Harlem, Ga. getting ready for the 22nd. Annual Oliver Hardy Festival in Harlem, Ga. Saturday 2 Oct. 2010.

Now, reference a Twin Brother; From K7FE

Norvell Hardy was born in Harlem, Ga. in 1892, His birth was a single birth.
    He did have Step Siblings as his mother, a widow was married to Sam Tant befor she married Norvell's Father, The Original Oliver Hardy.

Our hero started using his late fathers name at about his age of 20; Oliver Norvell Hardy.

One of his step brothers did work in the moving picture business for a short time.
    One of his step brothers, San Tant died after he was injured swimming in the OCONE, River at Milledgeville, Ga.

In all of the printed work about our hero that I have and read, ( minimum of 25 different books) no mention has ever been made of a Physican Brother.

I will inquire about the subject with some of the more knowledgable Laurel & Hardy historians.

In the Spirit of Ham Radio and Laurel & Hardy,
    Hope 2-c-u-2 soon.
    73 Dennis Moriarty K8AGB ( since January 1956)
    aka/dba: Sparkie & Look-A-Likes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.