ad: w5yi

older pc notebook and balky code spacing

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K5TSK, Aug 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Folks, I've been cooped up in a retirement village and inactive on CW, but I'm using the time to brush up on my proficiency. Using the latest G4FON code trainer on a HP ProBook 430 G6, i5, 1.6 Ghz with 8 gig ram.
    Not that much horsepower compared to some. When I crank up the speed on this setup to 45 wpm character speed with a slow effective speed, I'm having extreme difficulty recognizing spacing between word groups.
    How do I figure out whether it's my copy or the notebook and Win 10 paging system?

I'm able to copy the characters at about 98.5% accuracy about half way through the 40 characters, but the spacing I'm putting on paper is atrocious. Me or it? Both?

Any way to nice the software so it's the boss? nice 0

2. K5TSK

Forget it.

3. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Hank;
    Not sure what the problem is with the coputer. If you are running windows and have a lot of stuff running in the background it could be impacting the timing of the morse. I ran into a simular problem when running come of the contest loggers that generated the morse characters, I solved it by getting a win keyer from K1EL. It has something to do with the priority that the program is running at. Is there a way in the menu of the G4FON program to increase the priotity that it runs at?

On a similar subject, have you checked out the K1USN SST (http://www.k1usn.com/) on Sunday Night and Friday afternoon? of course that has a 20 wpm speed limit, and may not be what you are looikng for, but I've been participating the last few weeks, and find it is helping my skills in a low pressure environment.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you checked G4FON's minimum system requirements for his program?

5. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I removed the "branding" applications from two laptops recently, one HP and the other Lenovo. They both are running Windows 10 21H1. The Lenovo, a ThinkPad Edge 15 Core i3 M390 with 8GB RAM was particularly sluggish. I remove all of the Lenovo built-in apps, and it is now running as if it is a direct install from Microsoft. The performance increase was such that I did the same for the HP, a newer laptop Core i5-5300U with 16 GB RAM. Both run just fine without the penalty of those branding apps running in the background.

Ted, KX4OM

6. K5TSK

Thanks guys. I bought the little Windows notebook three (?) years ago because I had started with N3FJP logging this last time around. Bought it solely with that in mind and it does that well. Then downloaded this, that, etc. The Windows paging system and the software timing just aren't up to snuff on the little machine. When I ran Linux, you could nice a program to have priority over other stuff. Older Windows also allowed that to some extent, but I'm losing touch with the new stuff.
    Anyway, I have a multi processor 2 year old MacBook Pro that now runs Koch Trainer by Pignology, also the Call sending software. The spacing problems were the old notebook's problem. I have a problem differentiating some 'dit prominent' characters at 40+ wpm and I am trying to teach an old brain to hear better. Newer Mac works, older brain, not so much!
    Again thanks!