Older Amps that you would have in your shack today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, Sep 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

New amps often have all kinds of "bells and whistles," but their electronic circuits DO have a limited life span, after which they can become VERY expensive doorstops. On the other hand, amps such as the SB-200, SB-220, and the like, can be made to work into at least the next millennium if treated properly. (2100 or longer.) WHY? Because they do NOT rely on fancy electronics, but ARE "bare" amps that require manual tuning, etc. The current amps are convenient, and allow almost "no thought" operation on multi-bands, but when they eventually go "bellies up," they become mere salvage material. But MY SB-200 (OK, not a full 1.5 kW but 6-800 Watts output) will still be going strong if I treat it nicely.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same with my 374A at 800 to 1000 Watts output. The low-drive mod was NOT accomplished. Therefore 100 Watts drive is just beginning to tickle it. The original tubes should last a while yet. :)

3. N2IIE

N2IIE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On the Heathkit SB-200 , to change from 220V to 120V all that is needed is just removing a wire jumper (across pins 2-3) and adding 2 wires (across pins 1-2 and 3-4) to the power plug terminal block. Then replacing the outlet plug. It's shown on the schematic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  4. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dan! Yes I did. Thanks - I love paper QSLs!!

W2AI likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the days when my real estate was larger and I had no antenna restrictions I often thought about an amp, even looked at quite a few, but I was happy with my barefoot rig and multi band rooftop vertical with roof mounted radials. I just never thought the amp was worth the bucks for the gain. I also looked at a tower mounted yagi for 10/15/20M. I would have gone there before acquiring an amp.

Now that I'm limited to a stealth antenna in cramped quarters I still wouldn't go to an amp. My stealth antenna is limited in power handling capability and I sure don't need to deal with RF exposure to my neighbors or RFI problems even if my stealth antenna could handle full legal power.

So I live within the constraints of my circumstance.

6. W2AI

W2AI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad!!:oops:

7. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course you do have some home brew amps that would fit into this discussion as there as some great amp builders out there. From your amp isn't big enough if you can fit it in a metal enclosure department. No Kids, no lids, no space cadets allowed! Looks like it is working, the 813s are glowing pretty good.

813amp2nite.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    KE4OH, W4ZD, AD5HR and 2 others like this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That is probably the coolest thing I have seen today.

AD5HR likes this.
  9. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hmmm I wonder where you got that?:)

10. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an HL-2200 that I sometimes regret selling.
    Right now I have an Amp Supply LK-500 that's built like a tank.

NL7W likes this.