Old Time Radio Shows

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5CEY

K5CEY QRZ Member

I was always fond of "Lum and Abner". They're at my level.
     I can relate.
                         John  K5CEY

2. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So far nobody's mentioned Eddie Cantor. He had a comedy/variety show in the late 20's. I guess those shows are hard to come by, and seldom heard, but he gave quite a few people their starts (and their air names). w2fgv[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, Eddie Cantor and several of the others that have been mentioned here, were already big stars in Vaudeville, notably appearing in such productions as the &quot;Zigfield Follies&quot; from about 1914 on! I just read about that this past week!

Now days we have to put up with &quot;reality TV&quot; . [​IMG]

BTW, since this topic has kinda died down, let me put the answer to the question I put in here earlier: Who had the last live radio variety show on a network ?

STAN FREBURG ! on CBS, if I remember correctly. You can still get CDs of the original shows.

Freburg, of course was famous for his &quot;John - Marsha&quot; takeoff on the radio soap operas, not to mention his spoof of Elvis's &quot;Heartbreak Hotel&quot; &quot;Yeeooowww, ripped my jeans - - third pair today ! &quot; [​IMG] [​IMG]

73 from Jim AG3Y

3. W9IND

W9IND Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't old enough to hear these shows the first time around, but a local FM station used to play 15-minute episodes of the old Lum and Abner show when I was in college. Man, it was hilarious. Great folk humor -- I remember lines such as (quoting from memory here), &quot;If you're not careful, they might law-sue ya.&quot;

Definitely worth having those recordings today.

4. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

Fibber McGee, Shadow, I Love a Mystery/Adventure, Our Miss Brooks....
    And the list goes on.
    If it weren't for the transcribed episodes that have been rebroadcast, I'd feel cheated.

Radio Spirits is a good source(for a cost) of many of these shows..

But then, with a 30Gb hard drive, and a reel to reel machine..
    I have many hours on tape..

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Duffy's Tavern, &quot;where the elite meet to eat !&quot; was terrific. Archie's murdering of the English language was a riot. Also, Henry Aldrich, and The Bickerson's are good for a lot of laughs...

6. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite radio program?

HOWARD STERN!!!

And, uh, Baba Booey to y'all!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I caught Mickey Rooney in the Hardy Family from 1951 this weekend... it was a slightly disturbing show... the kid, played by Rooney, is a fast-talking &quot;street punk&quot;, and the parents seem to accept it as normal, and don't correct him. Could this be the start of the decline of America ? HI HI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.