Old Time Radio Shows

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Who can forget "The Life of Riley" with Bill Bendix ?

"There's no quicksand . . . . . "

I bet you can't remember who had the last live radio variety show on network radio ? Answer forthcoming!

73 from Jim AG3Y

2. KC9CEW

KC9CEW Ham Member QRZ Page

I like mysteries,such as,The Shadow,The Wistler,Lights out,Inner Sanctum,Murder by Experts.
    Let's not forget the great westerns,Gunsmoke,Tales of the Texas Rangers,The Lone Ranger,Have Gun,Will Travel.
    A good website to check out for all the classics.
    "www.radiospirits.com" or "bostonpete.com"

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

73,ken

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ERV:

I haven't hit 60 yet (getting close however). I have been collecting vintage radios since the early 1970s when my grandfather gave me an Atwater-Kent Model 30 and a Stewart-Warner Model 305 both of which he had used during the 1920s when they were brand new.

I have been a "student" of trivia and history especially where communications devices are concerned.

You can see some photos of a few of my radio collection at http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth if you are interested.

Glen, K9STH

4. KC7ATO

KC7ATO Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a few old time radio shows I listened to:

Jack Armstrong the All American Boy
    The Lone Ranger
    The Green Hornet
    Edgar Burgen and Charlie McCarthy
    Lux Theater

Gone but not forgotten.

KC7ATO

5. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

And many more, Johnny Dollar being yet another.
    Good one as well.

K8ERV, I send an episode of X minus 1 to the email address given in your email, and it bounced... all of it, including the 3 Mb attachment. "User not known, rejecting."
    Give me a valid one, and it's yours..

6. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Saturday mornings, when I was in about third grade through sixth, I spent with Big Jon and Sparky on the show called "No School Today!"

This was followed by "Travel into the future with Buzz Cory, Commander in Chief of the SPAAACE PATROOOOLLLL!"

73 de Pat K7KBN

7. KB2AK

KB2AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have the 1941 Zenith Radio on which I remember listening to many of the mentioned OTR Programs from about 1946 to mid fifties.  The radio still operates, and have 5 others from 1936-1950 at this time.  
    My favorite was The Shadow on Sundays at Five PM--but also there was x-1, Dimension X, Suspense, Escape, Inner Sanctum, Mr Keen, Tracer Of Lost Persons, Murder At Midnight, Mr Chameleon, Lights Out, Mr&Mrs North---these were the ones I use to listen to regularly.  I have many of these on tape, Audio CD & Mp3, so hear them again now--it is a real kick to hear one now and actually remember when it was actually being broadcast!
    Gary KB2AK    kb2ak@arrl.net [​IMG]

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone asked which of my vintage radio collection is my favorite. Probably my Mengel Type M. R. 101 Etherion crystal set. It was manufactured on 13 October 1922. I know this because the original inspection slip #7884 is in the original box! In fact, the unit is basically brand new. It uses a galena rock type crystal with a "cat's whisker" and the tuning consists of a variable coil that goes between two other coils, all of which are wound flat. The original instruction book is also with the receiver.

Of course, about all that I can receive is station KRLD which is a high power broadcast station that is about 10 miles from me.

There is a photo of this set on http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth

Glen, K9STH

9. Guest

Guest Guest

So far nobody's mentioned Eddie Cantor. He had a comedy/variety show in the late 20's. I guess those shows are hard to come by, and seldom heard, but he gave quite a few people their starts (and their air names). For example, when a guy named Benjamin Kubelski showed up, he put him on, but told him that he would probably be better off if they called him "Jack Benny".

Another fellow, Nathan Burnbaum, got his start with Eddie... he re-named him "George Burns".

By the way, Eddie's real name was "Israel Iskowitz". He was one hell of a cool guy. Sometimes you may hear him making a guest appearance on Burn's or Benny's shows.

10. N7WSB

N7WSB Ham Member QRZ Page

my favorite OTR show is still the Goon Show. I got into it because my dad used to record them off of cbu-fm when he was a kid. It stars Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Secome.

There are people on usenet who still collect/trade episodes.

Anyhow if anyone's interested in it send me a message [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.