ad: hrd-2

Old-school AM walkie talkie

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W0RIO, May 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I did some research on it and came across quite a bit of information.
    Interesting reading indeed.

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

As did I but it wasn't explained in the equipment literature.

This paper https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0606109.pdf

seems to indicate that "Quasi-electrostatic " implies treating the AC as if it were DC in a specific domain or in a specific instant in time.

Pheel

3. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

That contraption can't possibly work. There's no 9:1 balun and there isn't even a microprocessor.

K5UJ and AC0OB like this.
  4. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the same conclusion I had gotten from other sources.

Rather interesting once you get into the tech of it. It basically uses the magnetic near-field for communications in leu of the more commonly used electromagnetic far-field radiation. The reasoning for using such a low operating frequency is that the effective range is only within one wavelength of the antenna.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  5. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed.

My colleagues and I tend to think this term is kinda nutty.

A system is either Dynamical, i.e. changing or moving, or it is static, no change-no movement.

I guess the term, while somewhat impressive but imprecise, is simply a shorter term than stating:

"a physical system where the effects of charges and currents do not extend to spatial infinity but have short-range boundary conditions." :D

This VLF equipment does make sense for spelunking since cave walls will act as ducting for those long-waves.

Of course, back in 1960, Harold Wheeler suggested "Crustal Communications" via 1.5 kHz RF waves.

https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/65D/jresv65Dn2p189_A1b.pdf

Pheel

Last edited: May 9, 2019