Old radio, new thread

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by NM7G, Mar 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I've read many reviews online, so please don't tell me to go read......(link). I want to know if anyone on QRZ is currently, repeat currently, using a TS-870S. Yes, it was discontinued in 2004. It's old. I've been offered a 870S at an attractive price. It would be solely a backup rig. If you have one and it still functions, for what modes do you use it? What are its weaknesses and what repairs were needed?

2. W7JHN

W7JHN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 50mil serial number 870. It was my primary rig until I moved on to another radio. I don't use it much lately but it is an excellent radio for tx and rx audio quality. Most modern radios can't beat it. Yes it is an older design but still an excellant radio. I have only used it in SSB, no experience with other modes. Is it the perfect radio........no, but fun to own and operate. If Kenwood came out with an SDR similiar to the Icom 7300 I could consider letting it go. Never any issues with the radio.

I have read many reviews that say to stay away from the early production ones. The 70mil serial number is the first run and there were many issues with them. The serial number sequencing can be confusing. They are 70, 80, 90, 00, 20, 30 etc. up tp 60mil and that was last run like you said in 2004. One weakness in my opinion is the auto notch filter. I much prefer a manual control for adjusting the filter to suit the interference. One of the things I like is the antenna tunes on tx and rx. Also the menu is easy to get into and easy to navigate.

Everyone has an opinion on something. I don't know what you consider an attractive price. But I do know what I think mine is worth. My opinion and I'm sticking to it..Hi Hi!

3. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good to know. I appreciate your thoroughness. 73

Gary