Old Radio Magazine Christmas Ads

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4CZD, Dec 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They really were not rugged at all but they were cheap back then, a set of brand new Sylvania 6JB6 tubes was about twelve dollars.

When I got the TR4CW, I had just sold a KWM2. Anyway, the 6146 tubes in the Collins rig were designed for amplifier service so the Drake took that one lesson to learn that sweeps were just not made for continuous duty. :(

Since then, I have a set of RCA 6JB6's in my T4XB that are going on ten years and still load up to full power on 20 and 15 meters. Once I learned to be quick and let them rest for a few seconds between adjustments, they last a long time.

I also have four more brand new ones just in case.:D

W2AI likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, the air was dirty too. Much more so than today.

And it wasn't just industrial pollution, cars, etc. In the past, the percentage of smokers was much higher than today, and plenty of folks - men and women - were chain smokers. Even today, you see descriptions of used gear that say "from a nonsmoking environment".

73 es MX HNY de Jim, N2EY

KI7HSB, WD4ELG, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Jim!

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And how. When I was a kid the smog in Los Angeles and Orange Counties was so bad there were days when we could not go outside. It is a thousand percent better than the old days.

N2EY likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Heath had a very generous time pay plan. That is how I got my HW-12A in college and my first SB-401 transmitter right out of college. The HW-12A cost right at what I would take home in a week in 1966 (I was working full time my junior, senior, and postgrad in college) and the SB-401 cost around what I would take home in 1.5-weeks in 1967.

Glen, K9STH

W2AI likes this.
  6. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at a few of those prewar radio ads. A National 200 for the rough equivalent of $20k in today's dollars. The median income in 1940 was something like $2000-a year. A lot of people earned maybe $20 in an entire MONTH. A mid-level factory worker took home in a single month about the total cash price of that National or the Hallicrafters below it. And that was BEFORE taxes. Most hams simply couldn't afford it, nor did they care. It was the Depression, and food and shelter were far more important.

After the boys came back from the war the cultural taboo against buying on credit lessened, in good part because the feds were worried that several million men without jobs, property, or prospects for a future would be easy prey for Soviet recruiters looking to foment a Communist rebellion in America. That's why houses were built on a fifth of an acre, and came with garages (perfect for a new Chevrolet Streamline sedan) and hookups for fridges and washing machines.

If a man had his own mini-manor, alongside war buddies who also had their own, and he made good money at a factory and could afford what he made, he would likely be more inclined to ignore provocateurs. (It worked a little TOO well, as Joe McCarthy's rampage demonstrated.) A man has a mortgage and is buying a fridge, washer, and car "on time", why not splurge on a ham radio setup in the same way?

People without prospects or hope are drawn to extremism like iron shavings to a magnet. Harry Truman understood this, too bad Bill Clinton and his successors didn't.

KI7HSB, WZ7U, N0NB and 1 other person like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As Jim says, someone was buying those radios, and I guess there were enough to make their production worthwhile (for many of the companies ham radio was mostly a sideline). I do know the only ham around here (where salaries were distinctly below the national average) that my buddies and I knew of who had a complete, new Collins station also owned a commercial station. ;)

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

73 de Jim, N2EY

W2AI likes this.
  9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mad Magazine: What they say vs what they really mean

N2EY likes this.