Old Radio Magazine Christmas Ads

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4CZD, Dec 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's on the good girl checklist:

She's a good girl, loves her mama
    Loves Jesus and America, too
    She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis
    Loves horses and her boyfriend, too

Free Fallin'

WD4ELG, KN4CQB, WE4B and 5 others like this.
  2. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Christmas 1973? I probably got a couple of model rocket kits an erector set and maybe some plastic models. Radio stuff was still about a decade in my future.

WE4B likes this.
  3. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Each to his own but to me these ads represent better times for ham radio.

KA1SHU, WD4ELG, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree.

WE4B likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why?

Back then, ham gear was much more expensive and much less reliable than today.

6. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know you differ on this Jim. I appreciate you look to the future and are positive about today’s amateur radio.

It’s more about my personality. I enjoy ham radio today. Thanks friend. I admire you.

73 de Russ
    WA4KCN

N2EY likes this.
  7. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Based on those metrics, perhaps there was more satisfaction of having labored significantly to afford the equipment due to the expense and likewise more satisfaction of completing a contact because it was much less of a sure thing. Looking back those times are perceived to have been more simple. One operated CW or SSB (AM in earlier days). RTTY was still a specialized mode and SSTV even more so. Computers in the shack were non-existent and for a lot of folks more senior than me that definitely represents a simpler time.

Logging was done on paper. Knowing whether you might qualify for an award required some time to go through the log and stack of QSLs. It sounds counterintuitive, but even that is its own reward. There were no worldwide spotting networks except for being on the bands. And there is the rub. Many are watching the computer screen for that new one and aren't on the air until that one pops up on the screen. Then all bedlam breaks loose!

I'm noting these things and I'm a technonut! I'm surrounded by tech and I would find it tough to give it up and yet, I have to think that if all the tech disappeared this instant except for the radios, I'd spend more time on the radios.

Have we gotten so focused on the destination--working that new station (DXCC, WAS, etc.)--and forgotten the journey?

I think this why, despite all the modern stuff, my TS-520SE is such a nice change and why I do my best to fire it up at least once a week.

KA1SHU, W5TTP, WN1MB and 4 others like this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Second only to "World Peace".

WD4ELG likes this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WA4CZD likes this.
  10. W9YAC

W9YAC Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my favorites from about 1960:

Collins No Finer Way to Please (2).jpg

N8ZL, N4MTB, KQ9J and 2 others like this.