Old Radio Magazine Christmas Ads

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4CZD, Dec 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I recall being intrigued at the time and I recall reading a review that wasn't all that flattering, especially with regard to its membrane keypad. I think it was in early '83 or late '82 that Radio Shack had their branded version of the Timex Sinclair 1000 in the catalog. It was tempting but I wisely waited until the Color Computer 2 went on sale in November and picked one up, with 16k of Extended Color BASIC, for about $150 as I recall. At least it was something I could add to over time and eventually used for word processing and packet radio.

I wonder who that 800 number goes to now. I'm not brave enough to try it. :D

K0UO likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I paid 299 or 399 for an original CoCo and $100 for the 4k to 16k upgrade. Haha. That was in about 1984 best as I can recollect. That klunker went obsolete at the speed of light!

3. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good authority says this is Wayne Greens wife. (Post #18)

KA4DPO and W1TRY like this.
  4. KC0KEK

KC0KEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I don't mind when threads go off on radio-related tangents, but not this.

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had one of those way back in the 80's.

6. KA4DPO

How about I could go outside and after 15 minutes my eyes burned like I had been maced, and my throat and lungs hurt. Certainly didn't seem too simple at the time, It also prompted California to implement the use of unleaded gas, and clean standards, that actually worked, reducing CO, and ozone emissions, things that are supposed to be good for fighting climate change. I fail to see how that is a bad thing, or "simplistic" as you put it. You should think harder before posting insulting vitriolic nonsense. Your weren't there and have no knowledge of what it was like.

7. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. No clue as to how someone can get so self absorbed, narcissistic and wrapped around the axle that they can't sleep at night because they are worried that the guy next door wont do things they way they think it should be done... But somehow, they go get that way. They stew endlessly over people that won't drive the right car, buy the right products, care about the things they care about, vote for the right candidates... Believing that the other guy's actions (or inaction) somehow takes something away from them. Classic paranoia.

But going forward from there, it seems a natural thing that these types of people would gather around something tangible like this climate change nonsense so as to make themselves not appear totally insane. It's away of hiding the real problem, which is that they are psychotic and it really is all in their head.

Seems that the world was a lot happier when everyone minded their own business...

WZ7U and KC1NY like this.
  8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

You misunderstood me.
    KI7HSB seems to agree that the pollution was real and we were right to make changes to fix it. I don't doubt that at all.

He said that the problems back then were much worst than the problem of climate change.

My question was: How do you determine what's worst? It seems that it was considered worse because you could see it plus all the other symptoms you describe. That suggests that he only recognizes something as a problem if it is immediately detectable by human senses. That's what I called simplistic thinking.

Just because something is relatively slow or invisible doesn't mean that is it not a problem and potentially worse than something that has an immediate visible effect.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  9. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

W1TRY and N0NB like this.
  10. KA4DPO

Lets take this to the political forum.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from KA4DPO, ES I hope you get a nice new radio for Christmas.

WZ7U, KC0KEK, KN4CQB and 1 other person like this.