ad: M2Ant-1

Old PK-232

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WA2AAR, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I worked AMTOR ARQ with a PK-232, but never worked Pactor. I was just very concerned at the constant "click-click-clicking" of the T/R relay in my rig to get terribly excited about the ARQ modes. But I must admit, it was rather fascinating to be able to reduce the power on the radio down to a few watts, and still see the text being echoed on the screen as the "acks" came back from the other station.

There is a soundcard program called "FLARQ" that uses a soundcard to generate the tones, and supports ARQ exchanges. I haven't actually tried it in the ARQ mode, however, so I am not sure how well it works.

I seem to remember that one other difference between AMTOR and Packtor was the length of the transmitted packets. I believe they were longer in the Packtor mode, maybe as much as a sentence between acknowledgements, as opposed to just a few letters. My mind may be blurry on that.

If the timing is a bit less critical with Packtor as compared to AMTOR, it might be a good ARQ mode with a soundcard program. I will have to defer to someone who has actually tried it.

73, Jim

2. KI4SP

KI4SP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Same as Pakratt for Windows, 16 bit, wont run well under XP, Vista and Windows 7 and wont run at all under Windows 7/64 bit.

4. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I didn't even realize people were still using these things since the sound card interfaces came out.. then again in addition to my "modern" gear I also run old vacuum tube gear. Hmm, it sounds tempting to dig my PK-232 out!

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

heck, for just running the 232, why don't you pick up a cheap DOS box and run it.

6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

You can, but you need the updated PakRatt II for DOS, which has the Y2K fixes, otherwize, it will error on the TNC. The Y2K fixed version of Pakatt II for DOS is on he 25th anniversary CD.

7. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, then you can run the TNC and soundcard modes with just one program. ROC

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary, KF7XP posted this statement on his web page regarding the XPWare software.
    http://www.glaswerks.com/xpware/

I have decided discontinue support for all XPWare software programs at this time.
    I wish to thank all of the users from around the world that have supported the various programs over the past 12 years.
    I have been lucky to have made a lot of friends and relations along the way and have always enjoyed working with the amateur and MARS communities.

I have decided to post the registration generation programs for both my DOS and Windows (XPWIN) programs on this page.
    Please feel free to use them as you see fit. This site will remain open until I run out of space at:
    http://www.glaswerks.com.

These programs are now deemed as Freeware.
    73 -- Gary, KF7XP

============
    You MAY wish to look at the software from Jukka Kallio, OH2GI, HAM SYSTEM V7.1k
    This is a currently supported DOS and Windows 16-bit application, perfect for the budget // bargain-seeking ham.
    http://www.kolumbus.fi/jukka.kallio/

He has a new web page: http://www.iki.fi/oh2gi
    The current version of OH2GI-HAM SYSTEM supports the following TNCs in multiple configurations.

TNC emulation mode with MMTTY program
    Kantronics KAM V5.0 and up in HOST mode
    Kantronics KAM below V5.0 in terminal mode
    AEA PK- 232MBX
    AEA PK-900 in dual-port mode
    AEA DSP-2232 in dual-port mode
    AEA DSP-232 and DSP-232 Plus
    MFJ-1278
    DSPCOM in terminal mode
    SCS PTC-II and SCS PTC-IIe in terminal mode
    DSP-Sound Card modems RITTY and BITTY by K6STI
    Beta version of BTL-TSR

The system allows simultaneous operation of up to two HF radios and one VHF radio in a Two-TNC configuration
    provided one TNC is a KAM in Host mode or AEA PK-900 or AEA DSP-2232 in Dual-port mode.

The system allows simultaneous operation of up to two HF radios or one HF radio and one VHF radio in a Two-TNC configuration.
    Single TNC is supported for HF and/or VHF

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PK-232

I have two of these. One an earlier version than the other, and also have both versions of the PC-Pakratt S/W.

I dedicated an old laptop to run dos 6.2. This configuration has run flawlessly for years.

But when I got a new radio, I decided to change up to modern hardware and S/W.

So now, I run MMTTY and a rigblaster for the interface. It works very well with every digital mode that I've tried so far.

My main interest is now and always has been RTTY. I just like the mode for some reason AMTOR, G-TOR and (heaven forbid!) HF Packet never did anything for me.

I guess that I'm just a full gallop, key-down, QRO type...

Let's not even mention...

(Shudder!!) PSK31...

It just psk'es me off!

73 Gary

10. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

"Let's not even mention...

(Shudder!!) PSK31...

It just psk'es me off!

73 Gary "

Oh, that's just CUTE, Gary - CUTE !

Thread Status: