Old phone numbers - BEechwood 4-5789

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W4XKE, Oct 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll bet that a lot of us can remember the phone number they had as a kid. What good is it to know that? Those old phone numbers are like your military service number and your SS number that you can rattle off without even trying to think about them. The phone number of our department at Delco Radio was GLadstone 7-7757 and I can still hear old Grover Lockhart announcing over the plant public address (PA) system, "Jack Bishop? Call seven - seven - FIVE - seven."
    Jack was our supervisor. One day people came scurrying around, telling each other, "Jack wants everybody in his office at 9 o'clock to chew our asses out."
    There were a lot of us but we managed to cram into his office with the ladies sitting in chairs around a library table and most of us guys standing behind them around the perimeter. I had to fart. Real bad. Knowing that I couldn't hold it in for the duration of the meeting, I let it out real slow, so as to not make noise. Trouble was - it was a real stinker!!! At first nobody noticed but then Jerry Hogan, who was sitting in a chair right in front of me. He started making strange noises and then his shoulders started shaking up and down and I could tell that he was trying to suppress his laughter.

Jack went on with his scolding... "Everybody in this room could do a better job of getting this production out! Our quotas have been lower these past three... blah... blah... blah... "
    Meanwhile, the acrid smell drifted further around the table and the ladies began to squirm and look around at each other while the guys started shuffling about and mumbling under their breath... "Okay? Who the hell was it?"

"Don'tcha be lookin' at ME!"

"Somebody needs to see a doctor!"

"Was that YOU?"

"Not ME. I think it was Hogan! He was laughin' a minute ago!"

"Hogan, we're gonna' kick yer ASS when we get out'ta here!"

"It wasn't ME. I don't know WHO it was but it wasn't ME!"

Jack was getting so mad that his face was turning red... "Allright! You all think I called you in here to make jokes?!! These production schedules aren't something funny and you don't see ME laughing!"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Everybody tried to straighten up and quiet down but the air in the room was nauseatingly fierce. The women started putting their hands over their faces and Mildred blurted out, "My GOD JERRY! What did you eat for BREAKAST?"

"I'ma tellin' you... it WASN'T ME! I don't know WHO it was!"

"Hogan? We KNOW it was YOU! YOU were the only one laughin'"

"Yeah, Hogan, and we're gonna kick yer ass when we all get out'ta here!"

And on and on it went, with Jack getting more and more furious as he lost control of his meeting and everybody in there was gasping for a breath of air and cussing and threatening Jerry Hogan. The meeting went on for about another ten minutes and it seemed like an hour with everybody almost gagging.

For several days afterward, people were giving Jerry a bad time for passing a lethal fart while we were all mandated to be inside a closed office while nobody could escape and they knew he was responsible for them losing all their 'brownie points" with Jack.

"Hogan? We ARE gonna' get EVEN with you!"

"I keep tellin' ya... I didn't DO it! It wasn't ME!"

"C'mon, you asshole! We KNOW it was YOU! You were sittin' there a laughin' before anybody else even SMELLED it! I can't believe you DID that in Jack's meetin' an got us ALL in trouble! We ARE GONNA' get EVEN!"

That had to be a runner up for the 'Fart-of-the-Year' award! LOL, lol, lol. I never did 'fess up since things blew up so out-of-control and went on for days - and besides - I owed Jerry one for a different ordeal. Even weeks later, people were still bringing it up and Jerry owned it - whether he would admit it or not. :)

There are a lot of things that I need to remember but it seems are too easily lost to the ether. What was I going to get at the grocery store that was my main purpose in coming here? What did I come into this room to get? What is it that I'm forgetting(?)... I know that I'm forgetting something important that's going to come back to bite me later.

But then there are other things that are seemingly useless information that have permanently ascribed their statements onto my conscious thought patterns. Like those old 1950s telephone numbers. When I was in grade school,we got a telephone. The number that GTE assigned to us was LYndhurst 5-3365. My older brother was out of the nest and on his own. His number was FLeetwood 7-3072. Now, things like that are taking up space in my organic hard drive, while I can't recall the guy's name who comes up and says, "Hey, Johnny? What've you been doing since we retired from Alber's Pharmaceuticals in Knoxville?"

Not to worry... Sometime in the middle of the night a couple of weeks from now, I'll remember his name and all the details. (???) What good is that? Other than to interrupt an otherwise good night's sleep?

But you know what? I've found a way to use some of that old data in today's modern digital world. "Please enter a username and a four-digit PIN number."

Viola! (or is it voila?) Those old phone numbers make GREAT pin numbers because they can't be forgotten anyway. And there's no end to the usernames that I've got stored. And we thought that old data was useless, eh? LOL

Johnny

W8VTN and N0TZU like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So, what DID you have for breakfast all those years ago?

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, some things from long ago are remembered. 65 + years ago our home phone in LA was AN (for Angeles) 12134. 58 years ago the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department issued me a Smith and Wesson Model 15 .38 caliber Combat Masterpiece revolver...serial # K664659 and a set of handcuffs 272324. When you have to yell out those serial numbers at inspections every day for all 16 weeks of the academy you tend to remember them.

W8VTN, N0TZU and KU4X like this.
  4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Though we never had alpha characters in our phone numbers (to young for that) When dialed locally our numbers only required four numbers until after I got a high school. My military number was my SSN. I do remember our phone number and my cousins phone number. My aunt and uncle still have that phone number to this day.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Just don't use 867-5309--it's too popular a number.

Of course, you can always go waaaaaaay back with the phone number password, "NumberPlease."

N0TZU likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cheese toast or a bowl of cereal or grits.

7. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WHitehall 7-3526

Starting this week we have to dial the full 10 digits even when calling within our own area code. Thank the proliferation of cell phones for the fact we've run out of unique 7-digit numbers within our area. It wasn't that long ago that the area codes got split up and added to in Alabama!

8. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Back a few years ago my sister used to give out Jenny’s number when she wanted to test a guys age and see if he was to young.

KP4SX likes this.
  9. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our home phone number was 371; Dad's office was 103. We picked up the phone, "Central" asked for the number, we gave it to her, and she made the connection. Often a number wasn't really necessary, you just asked "give me the Western Auto store, please".
    We didn't get rotary dial phones until sometime in the mid '50s.

"Central".
    [​IMG]

N7VGO and W7UUU like this.
  10. KF5JOT

KF5JOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m probably the youngest here that ever ran a 12 line switchboard. We were in Trinidad for a number of weeks back in 1972. The hotel we were living in, had upgraded and had a new to them 12 line board. When it was raining and we couldn’t go outside and do anything, I paled up with the hotel crew and learned how to work the board. Kinda rattled mom the first time she got the board and I was on it. Got good enough that if I was around and not doing anything, I’d relieve the operator and run the board so they could go grab a snack or some tea or coffee.

KA0HCP, W8VTN and KP4SX like this.