Old Military Training Video: Hand-sending Morse Code

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NW7US, Aug 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the posts. It's fun to recall this stuff. I can't recall exactly when I learned morse code, but it was in the late 60's, and it was pretty much as in the videos.

It was a straight key sort of thing, and recently I discovered, at the bottom of a box in my attic, my original Speed-X key. Sometime later, I had replaced it with a J-38. Still have that too.

Unable to match N2EY's 50 year record, I can only claim 48 years at this point. But once you learn it, use it for a couple of years or more, it's always there.

73, Mike

N2EY likes this.
  2. K4NYW

K4NYW Ham Member QRZ Page

It does - however, that isn't a US Navy ship......
    Cheers,
    Nick

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are right, it was a British ship but maybe the key was lend leased? Anyway I found a shot of a radio room on a pre-war Navy ship. Looks like Frankenstein's lab but the lack of a key makes me think the OP was probably a phone man. :D Don't see a mic either. :confused: Dou you suppose they ran digital?

25-wireless-shipboard.jpg

4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

If one takes a real close look, the picture is post WW2, most probably early 60's.

The typewriter has an Olivetti label, and at the extreme right is a NATO enclosed ITT leaf-spring that became common in the 60's.

There also is a "bug" that looks like a McElroy late 40's clone that was very common.

The key in the middle is most probably a licence-produced Marconi key, of the type that was installed in all rental Marconi ship stations.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    N2EY likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

I assume you are looking at the picture in my post #20. If you look on the extreme right hand side of the picture there is what appears to be an enclosed flameproof key with a navy knob, I am not familiar with that style of key but I have seen that very typewriter with the ribbon shield in many photos of WWII ships radio rooms.

This is a picture of the J-5 key, not mine but exactly like it. Mine was made by Bunnell Mfg.

Flameproof Key.jpg

6. SM0AOM

Well, I know it is a post-WW2 NATO key because I have one.

The pictures below, http://www.morsekey.net/keys/nato.html, show the Marconi manufactured version, mine
    that was part of the ITT Marine offerings looks a little different.

The leaf-spring keys saw wide-spread use after WW2 since they gave a very good "feel" for a fraction of the cost for a needle-bearing or roller-bearing key.

Some 37 years experience of civilian and military ship's radio have made me see my fair share of shipboard installations and their keys...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

nato1.jpg ô
    nato.jpg

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That picture looks like it was taken at the AWA Museum.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hand (straight) keys make my hand hurt just looking at them.:)

Haven't used anything but a set of paddles (or occasionally my Vibroplex bug) in over 40 years. But even with these "the whole arm on the table" is a must, for me -- so the key is always set back at least the distance from my elbow to my fingertips.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. KA4DPO

That is an interesting key. Is the switch for keying different transmitters?

10. SM0AOM

The switch could be wired for whatever purpose you wanted, some used it for generating a constant key-down for tuning, some for receive/transmit when the installation was not full-duplex or for selecting transmitters.

Civilian installations as I recall it, never used the switch.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM