Old Military Training Video: Hand-sending Morse Code

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NW7US, Aug 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is how I hold my key while operating. And, it is an authentic Navy key... a WWII Signaling Key.

2010-03-12_NW7US-at-Key.jpg

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

navy knobs is untrue...30 plus years of operating with navy I never have used anything other than a flat top key.

N2EY likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, they were called "Navy knobs"....

My J-37 has a "Navy knob"......it's a poker chip with a hole in the center.

N2SR likes this.
  4. NW7US

Maybe you were not in the same Navy (chuckle). For what it is worth, the photo in my previous reply shows a World War II Navy Signaling Key. It hails back to World War II. Perhaps by the time you started your 30-year operating with the Navy, the Navy migrated to a different key. Or, the key to which I refer was in use in operations outside of the scope of your job.

In any case, I prefer the knob. I can do both, but I am more accurate with the knob. I suspect this paragraph will inspire a few attempts at puns and humor.

73 de NW7US dit dit

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your key is a proper US Navy flameproof key. All Morse keys aboard Navy ships in WWII were the flameproof type. I have one and it is my favorite, I like the Navy knob much better than my old flat knobbed Army J-38 key.

PS, you have excellent taste in antenna tuners.

6. NW7US

Yes, this Navy Flameproof is my very top favorite key. I've used this key since 1989 (I've had several through the years if one started showing signs of wear).

Haha. Thank you. Yes, those are good tuners. However, I've now switched to an autotuner that resides at the feedpoint of my outdoor antenna.

7. NW7US

For those interested:

Morse Code - Principles and Basic Techniques (US Army Signal)
    (Learn to Send Perfect Morse Code by Hand - Vintage Training Film (Ham Radio / CW))

Vintage 1944 Radio Operator Training: How to Send Morse Code (CW) by Hand

This one is a pretty cool film:
    1939 Film: New Zealand Shortwave Communications; Morse code (CW)

I've also created a play list, and most of the videos are still online. Once and a while something changes and I have to update the list. Here is the list:

->

AC8UN likes this.
  8. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

probably brown shoe aviation key.

9. K4NYW

K4NYW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, no - in WW2 the standard keys installed at the LOP (Local Operating Position) desks in USN shipboard radio rooms were not flameproof and did not have a "Navy knob". The Navy Type 26001 (introduced 1932) and 26012 (introduced 1939) were the standards - see this page for some photos - http://www.navy-radio.com/xmtr-key.htm

The "navy knob" types disappeared well before WW2 - They were all marked SE, for "Steam Engineering" way back when that bureau was responsible for radio equipment (the spark gap and arc transmitter days).

There were waterproof (and I suppose flameproof) keys associated with portable radio equipment like the TBX and MAR - mainly for USMC use.

Beginning in 1953, the SB-315()/U control panel was installed aboard new ships or in refits - it includes an enclosed key and maybe that is what you were thinking of - but it didn't come along until well after WW2.
    http://www.navy-radio.com/morse/key/sb315b-u-301.JPG

The flameproof one shown in the photo in this thread is the Navy Type 26003 which was used aboard aircraft. The only place I have seen it used shipboard was as part of a fixture for mast light signaling, never for radio use.
    http://www.navy-radio.com/morse/key/CTE26003A-key.jpg

I know - "never say never", so I will be happy to be corrected by anyone who can turn up a photo or eyewitness showing a flameproof or "navy knob" key in USN radio use shipboard after 1935 or so... All corrections and additions are welcome!
    73, Nick K4NYW

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a picture of the radio ops position on a WWII destroyer. Not a flameproof but sure does look like a Navy knob.

Attached Files: