Old iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by K9WW, Apr 13, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I'm trying to resurrect an OLD iMac, the "Drew Carey" style, running OS 10.2. I would like to use it for internet and mail but am using a newer type Mac Airport base that uses a WPA2 password. The old iMac
    uses only a WEP password and I have no idea what it was. Can I still configure this oldie to use the new
    Airport or am I SOL?

I know this isn't ham radio related but someone out there might be helpful.

Thanks!

Kirk K9WW

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply! These old iMacs are kinda cute but, unlike old ham rigs, are subject to
    planned obsolescence. Too bad.

Good luck with your ultralight, looks like great fun!

Very 73,

Kirk K9WW

WF7A likes this.
  4. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The old 802.11b card was only capable of TKIP encryption. The later 802.11b/g card could do AES, necessary for WPA2. That would have also required an OS update to something from the 10.3 family... though I think all but the oldest of those G3 iMacs can run 10.4 properly.

Of note, I think you can still get current builds of TenFourFox, a special edition of firefox containing modern rendering and security features built to run on old hardware under Mac OS X 10.4.

The problem is that airport card- if you haven't got the G version you're stuck. You could get a USB wifi adapter, or get an access point, program it for your wifi and then connect it to the iMac with a shortie ethernet cable.

5. K9WW

K9WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Harris,

Thanks for the reply and welcome to Ham Radio! I've been at it for over 50 years and learning more every day. I appreciate the tips
    and will check the machine's info about the wireless card. If it's the right one I'll look into the Firefox idea. My guy at the Mac store
    can probably help.

I was a professional portrait photographer for 40 years and had to learn Photoshop when it came out and thus have a bunch of Macs.
    I hate to just junk them. You're going to have a ball with digital modes.

Good luck and very 73,

Kirk K9WW

6. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet another alternative for old, unsupported by Apple, iMacs (etc.) is to look for a more current Linux distribution, and run that instead of OSX. You can connect to newer external WiFI access point via either ethernet or USB.

7. KJ7VAB

KJ7VAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just put Ubuntu on an older iMac (core2duo I think). Unfortunately, one of the 2gig ram chips died, so I can only do 1 thing at a time without going into swap.
    still, it's now my dedicated SWL / RTL-SDR computer.

AC0GT likes this.