Old electricity rates

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jun 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Here, it's five and one half cents per kwh. 5.5 not a typo. Almost one fifth the cost.

Another reason not to be a Mass#@/&.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's amazingly low!

My rate is 9.3 cents/kWh, plus a couple of fee charges brings it to 11.8 cents at my consumption level. We've always had fairly low rates here because of plentiful natural gas and coal, which is slowly phasing out. Lots of sun, and some good wind areas on the plains as solar and wind power are more of a factor. (Though base load plants will continue to be needed in the foreseeable future unless there is a huge breakthrough in battery technology.)

Our one fling with nuclear here didn't work very well. It was a 330 MW new technology high temperature gas cooled reactor (HTGR). It had lots of problems which were eventually solved but by then it was too costly and was converted to natural gas, now running almost 1000 MW. (There are much better HTGR designs now.)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I lived in La a few years ago the rate was only 9-point something with a penny added for each of two previous hurricanes. You'd think after Irma/Maria that PR would have added some surcharge to recoup some of the damage. FEMA doesn't pay for everything!
    Here's how my current bill tallies:
    Client Charge - $4.00
    Consumption - 0.049/kwh
    Then the add ons:
    Fuel Surcharge - 0.101/kwh
    Energy purchase surcharge - 0.045/kwh
    Municipal surcharge - 0.007/kwh
    Some sort of unknown subsidy HH - -.012/kwh
    Another unknown subsidy NHH - 0.0009/kwh
    Tariff adjustment - 0.0077/kwh (deducted)

4. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is called history. I also specifically said that was the median in 1970. I will assume you misread the post rather than trolling. Now, by 1980 things had changed quite a bit. Pretty much all TVs were now color (though only 19"), two cars were becoming more common, and personal computers had migrated from a science fiction concept to something that the middle class could afford. But the median house size was still pretty small. House size really didn't start its large growth for the median until the 80's.

Rather than trolling we may just be dealing with a particular issue that is pretty common in the USA. Most people who materially above or below the median income will only think of their experience as being median. Even if in 1970 they had two cars and a color TV they will insist that they were completely average. After all, everything else in their wealthy subdivision had the same thing. They must be average! And the same thing happens with those below the average.

N2EY, WR2E and KP4SX like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All true.

Of course "median" basically means "half above and half below".

The Big Issue is: Who is included and what are the definitions?"

For example, what is a "house"? Do apartments count? Duplexes and triplexes? Condos?

What's a "family"? Married couple with no kids? Single parent with multiple kids?

If 49% have microwave ovens and 51% don't, the median house doesn't have a microwave.

Most of all, there's the wide range of incomes, costs of living, and possible lifestyles across the USA. In some urban areas, transit makes life without a car, or with one car per family, pretty easy. In other places, a car is a basic necessity. Electricity rates and the availability of natural gas from utilities is another factor; my electricity rates are high but my home heating, hot water and stove are all natural gas, so actual electricity use is much lower than an all electric house.

Btw...the reason Pacific Northwest, and some other, electricity rates are so low is because of hydro dams built by The Government using tax dollars decades ago.

6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Home size is the major driver in utility consumption. Bigger the dwelling, bigger the consumption. Three items make up nearly 1/2 of residential consumption: 1) air conditioning (which is almost universal and is -mandated- in a lot of places), 2) heating (heat pumps and the blower even if your system is gas), and 3) water heating (electric - with a large bias these days towards "tankless" or "instantaneous" heaters). And with average home sizes increasing by about 35% in the past 50 years, that power consumption number will continue to rise. You can throw all the 13 watt CFLs at the problem that you can, but when you have two more rooms with recessed lighting and CFLs in your home than you did before, the savings you had has been largely negated by all the additional bulbs in your house. Then throw in the added A/C and heating requirement....

7. KD2L

KD2L Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in an all-electric home, I guarantee it was not cheap. I could count on a $400 electric bill during the heating season.

K5PHW likes this.
  8. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't live without it!

de NK2U

WR2E likes this.
  9. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...as do I. But, on the other hand I don't pay for natural gas nor oil like I did in NJ...

de NK2U

10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Even with gas, winter is the toughest for utilities. Lights are on for a lot of hours because its dark for most of the day and you're running heat. Even with gas, the blower has to be on. Combined, some winter months are about $300 - $350 in gas/electric. In the worst summer months, you are looking at maybe $225 - $200 for electricity and $25 for gas.