Oklahoma Amateur License Plate Requirements

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0IRW, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W9EJC

W9EJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleted

2. W9EJC

W9EJC Ham Member QRZ Page

From the bit of research I've done, OK is typically a 1-plate state EXCEPT for ham plates which are required to be on both the front and back—don't ask me why.

3. K5JXO

K5JXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah thats correct but what I'm saying is the plates arent that common to begin with and I'm betting 99.9% of cops have no idea that there's two plates issued for that one specific plate compared to all the others. Side note, Oklahoma has so many dang special plates now its not even funny. Joke is they designed the main plate to be ugly specifically to get people to buy the special plates of some kind for extra $

1 person likes this.
  4. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

They would hate me cause I sure won't spend extra money for that crap.

K5JXO likes this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In Washington they dont state they are ham plates. They look like all other plates with our calls on them. Are most states like that, or are there more that states that say something about it being a ham plate?

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

WX7P probably knows.

7. KC1NY

KC1NY Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of ancient plates I once had:

plates.jpg

8. K5JXO

K5JXO Ham Member QRZ Page

OK is a separate vanity/personalized plate. I wish it was as easy as a regular plate swap. Like I said above our vanity plates are a straight money grab. I don’t want to spend the extra yearly money on a ham plate but if it was just our “regular” plate with my call and minus the extra fees I probably do it.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It varies. Some say nothing, some say it plainly, others have some arcane designation like mine which have “SCL” in tiny letters on one side but otherwise look like a vanity plate. It stands for Special Call Letter, and it’s the same for a ham as they are for the owner of a broadcast station.

10. N0IRW

N0IRW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham plates in Oklahoma are $10 a year extra....and the upside is they all renew in December So, unless you bought your vehicle in December, it just isn't a big deal....