Oklahoma Amateur License Plate Requirements

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0IRW, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Struck me as odd when I lived there, but as I was told, "Welcome to Oklahoma. Set your clock back 60 years!"

Regardless, what was even more odd was that I was issued two AR plates while there were hams with only one AR plate on their vehicle. Apparently somewhere the law was changed from one to two but those with one weren't given two and I was required to have two and couldn't just run with one. o_O

The regular plate remained behind the seat and renewed as required.

Kansas used to issue a regular plate as an interim while the AR plate was being made which had to be turned in when the AR plate arrived at the DMV. Now they issue an interim AR plate printed on paper to use for the week to ten days until the permanent plate arrives in the mail. Current Kansas AR plates now say Amateur Radio at the bottom and print the two letter county designator at the top left which AR plates like my avatar didn't have prior.

K0UO likes this.
  2. W9EJC

W9EJC Ham Member QRZ Page

ONLY 60 years?? In my experience, it's closer to 100 years.

K0UO likes this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Was known as "Indian Territory" prior to becoming the 46th state in 1907.

K0UO likes this.
  4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The interesting aspect to me is that still keep a registration under a non amateur radio callsign and that people have to carry the original plate with them to show if asked. In Texas your callsign becomes your plate number. Oklahoma doesn't seem to have the requirement to have a mobile radio to have ham plates like Texas, the intent of the plates in Texas is that hams provide emergency services so we get the vanity plates for free (down from like a $1 or $2 at one time). If I had to pay more than say $10 or $20 a year I probably wouldn't wouldn't bother (already pay close to $80 for normal registration).

5. K5JXO

K5JXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oklahoma is a one plate state. Nobody runs the front ham plate, except one truck I saw. Every vanity plate in Oklahoma is a special issue and you still keep the primary plate in the car or some stack it under the vanity plate. If you don’t want the special/vanity plate anymore you can revert back to the old plate and just not pay for the special/vanity anymore. I believe after so long it goes back into the pool for someone else to snag.

K0UO likes this.
  6. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I ordered reproductions of original year-of-production plates for my classic cars from licenseplates-dot-tv. They're pricey bu they make it easy to indulge both hobbies.

65YPD.jpg
    My wife's 1965 Mustang

67BRL copy.jpg
    The 1967 Ford F-100 I sold just last month

1970 License plates front.jpg
    My 1970 Ford Torino, Incidently, that genuine antique city plate from my hometown was sold to me at a steal by my friend, zntique collector Tom KJ4KUC

Wal-Mart_2014.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    K0UO likes this.
  7. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

In states like NC and OK that require display of only one plate, you can get a custom made current-looking plate made with your call letters to place on the front bumper. Search Google or Amazon; mine here cost less than 13 bucks!

17BRL (2).JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    K0UO likes this.
  8. N0IRW

N0IRW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oklahoma DOES require the use of the front plate. I know hams that got ticketed for not displaying the front plate or not having the original in the vehicle. A cursory glance through the parking lot at a hamfests shows most do display the front plate. What happens more often if they decide not to pay for the plate anymore, they use them as front plates only.....but for only $10 a year (over and above the regular plate cost), most hams keep them.

9. K5JXO

K5JXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nobody around here runs the front except the one I’ve seen rolling around. Getting a ticket for not running the front seems a bit odd.

10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

No disrespect intended. Why would anyone want a call sign liscense plate? That’s what I think when I see one. But that thought goes away in about a second.