Oklahoma Amateur License Plate Requirements

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0IRW, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0IRW

N0IRW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is copied off the application for an Amateur Radio Tag in Oklahoma

Please Read All Instructions Before Completing Application

1. This Amateur Radio plate registration is in addition to, not in lieu of, your regular registration (i.e. standard license plate). You regular registration must be kept current at all times. Failure to renew the regular registration in a timely manner may result in a delinquent registration penalty and/or possible law enforcement citation.

2. Once an Amateur Radio license plate has been assigned to an applicant, that applicant shall have priority to such license plate for succeeding years, provided a timely paid application for renewal is submitted. To insure that you receive a renewal application each year, please notify the Oklahoma Tax Commission of any change in your address.

3. Amateur Radio license plates are to be displayed on the front and rear of one vehicle for which it is issued. The regular license plate may be kept inside the vehicle and produced upon request by law enforcement.

4. A special license plate may be transferred to another vehicle upon the owner’s submission of a completedRequest to Transfer Form (OTC Form 783-A) to the Motor Vehicle Division, Special License Plate Sec- tion. This form may be obtained from your local tag agency, through the Oklahoma Tax Commission web- site at www.tax.ok.gov, or from the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's about the same as it's been for the last 50 years.

3. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And your point in posting this information is????

:confused:

4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

So that people in New York would click on the thread, because of their interest in Oklahoma license plates.

KK9W likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So you get two sets of plates in OK? Is that common in other states?

6. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. Line 3 caught my attention as well.
    Mike N3PM

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not done this way now, but when I first got Minnesota call letter plates, they were a kind of secondary plate for the car. So if my plates were ABC 123, I would go down to the DMV and apply for call letter plates. When I got them, I would put them on the car. If someone ran the W0IS plate, it wouldn't immediately show what vehicle it was connected to. Instead, it would say something like, "See ABC 123," and they would then run ABC 123 to find out about the car.

But when I got new stickers, I would put them on the W0IS plate. There was no requirement to keep the ABC 123 plate, as far as I know. When I got rid of the car, I simply removed the plate, and it was the new owner's responsibility to get new ones. Technically, I don't think they were supposed to drive home until they got new plates, but I generally did the transfer at the DMV office, and we swapped plates in the parking lot.

I suspect they did it that because call letter plates pre-dated vanity plates in Minnesota by many years, so the slightly convoluted process didn't affect a lot of people. Today, like other vanity plates, they are tied directly to the vehicle. When I got a new car recently, I waited until the dealer mailed me the new plates, and I then took them to the DMV where I handed over the pristine unused plates and filled out the paperwork to put the call letter plates on the car.

In Minnesota, unlike many states, the plates typically go with the car, with the exception being vanity and special plates. We still take them off when we sell the car, and the buyer gets a car with no plates.

8. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Kentucky is one of those states where the plate stays with the vehicle even if you sell it to someone else (Unless, that person is an out of state buyer. Then you have to take the plate off). I don't have an amateur license plate, so I don't know what happens if you sell your vehicle to someone in state and you have an amateur radio license plate. It's interesting how the process varies from state to state.

9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, and here I thought it was just to trigger yet ANOTHER thread about ham radio license plates ... so that everyone can chime in about how it's done in THEIR state -- as if that hasn't been done previously.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ham-license-plates-or-no.403817/
    ;)

10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe its a slow 4th of July for some….

However, I’ll anxiously await the, “I don’t use amateur plates because someone may figure out who I am” crowd to post..:eek:

K4NWD, KE5OFJ, KI5WW and 2 others like this.