Okay, Now What?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K6PLE, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K6PLE

K6PLE Ham Member QRZ Page

That wasn't so bad... A little study and wallah, I'm an EXTRA! Even so, I am still a newbie as it was only four months ago that I took both element 2 and 3 at the same time. Thanks Gordo-WB6NOA! All I did was wear out a couple of highlighters on the correct answers in Gordo's books and never looked at the wrong answers. Took practice tests online and went back to the book with the questions I missed. Funny that I worked especially hard on the math and there was not one math question on the test.

I suppose the real fun is just beginning as I now must learn to tune antennas, climb towers, become proficient in CW and the really hard part seems to be learning to solder!

73-K6PLE

2. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats
    It will all come in time .
    The main thing now is to enjoy and learn.

3. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

What's next? CW of course.

4. K6PLE

Been working fervently at that. Sure is a strange language, I can copy from my CW Machine all day long but... As soon as I go on the air, everything locks up, my brain refuses to communicate with my hand and I can only get about 50% copy. Maybe the problem here is that I expect too much as I've only been at it for a couple months.

Thanks for the support!

73-K6PLE

5. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be nice to know where you are transmitting.

Ben

6. K6PLE

I am listening right now on -+7.026

Paul

7. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing heard. Maybe 15 meters.

Ben

8. K6PLE

I called several times, I haven't heard anything as far north as Maryland. I can usually hear Florida and South America and have had several contacts in Texas and New Mexico. Keep in mind that my little 897D is limited to 100w and my 135ft dipole is at a whopping 30ft up but... It's on a 100ft hillside orientated broadside to the east/north east. I will look for you on 15 at the top of the band.

Paul

9. K6PLE

Well Ben, It is looking like I am going to have to get a better antenna! I've been looking at a Tennadyne T-11 Log Periodic and a modest 50ft tower. I am torn between an Icom 7600, FTDX3000 and a K-3. This of, course, will do nothing for us tonight!

Paul

10. K6PLE

I think I may have heard you at 21 +10khz but it was way down in the muck.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.