ad: elecraft

Okay, I'm nuts -- thinking of learning Morse code now that I'm retired

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC5RR, Oct 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't listen to all those people. Yes, you are nuts.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KC5RR likes this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used CodeQuick. I was in the same situation, Although I learned CW and passed the 20wpm exam, I did not enjoy it and just plain stopped using it for a few decades. Then a few years ago I figured I'd try to learn it again. I used CodeQuick and it worked. In a few weeks I was on the air, but you have to commit the time every day to the lessons, and you need to do other things in conjunction, like online code generators that can focus on specific letters and listening to live signals. CodeQuick worked well for me. Best of luck!

K0UO and KC5RR like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

We Learn Morse.
    We Do CW.

4. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned [to do] CW. It's implied. You must infer.

[​IMG]

KC5RR likes this.
  5. KC5RR

KC5RR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An honest man!!!

6. KG4KAH

KG4KAH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have good results from Code Quick, good luck and more power to you. I too am retired and am learning Morse now as well. I have tried a number of methods starting with the Boy Scout method when I was 12, and various tapes and CD methods over the years including Code Quick. All I remember is dog did it. I also have the ARRL system. Unfortunately, they all sounded like just so many random dots and dashes.

What I have been using recently is the Skilman Morse Code method, which to be honest is just making you learn to hear the characters then practice both hearing the letter or number with the morse character, practice saying the characters (di di dah dit or dah di dah dah for example). Then identifying the characters in a group of random characters. You just do it over and over every day. Slowly the characters begin to be distinguishable from each other. But there is nothing quick about it, it is just brute force learning.

I figure in 5 months I may be able to go live on the air with an actual qso if I can keep discipline.

I wish you better luck than I have had, and that we can meet on the air in a CW QSO.

Wade

N0NB likes this.
  7. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep it up!

My daughter Robyn learned 26 letters to the point where she could "hear words" and just repeat the words back to me in one day. However, she was about 8 years old at the time!

I think all this stuff is easier when you're very young, and becomes more difficult with age.:p

I taught her by just sending her complete words and telling her what they were. An hour later, she recognized the words and could recite them back; so I added a lot more words. But she also learned foreign languages quickly -- which I don't.

M6GYU and K0GOV like this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever method you use to learn, try to get on the air and start having QSOs as soon as you know all the letters, numbers, and important prosigns and Q-signals at whatever speed you chose to learn.

It often helps to listen to a few QSOs before trying one. Try listening around 7050-7055 in the afternoon/evenings, and you will hear some slower-speed QSOs. When you can understand most of what is being sent, and understand procedures, prosigns, etc., jump on the air and answer somebody's CQ or call CQ yourself.

You may mess up one or two QSOs in the beginning. (The late Bob Hertzberg, K4JBI, who taught a lot of people Morse code before, especially during, and after World War Two, called this "getting buck fever.") If you can't straighten things out, don't worry about it, just send SRI OM QRT 73 and your call. There is no disgrace in this! We all lose a few contacts every now and then due to fading, QRM, etc., so no one will think anything of it. Just learn from what happened and try again.

After the first ten or so QSOs, you will rarely if ever mess up. You will then be well on your way!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    K0GOV likes this.
  10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Quick code ?
    The speed at witch you learn Morse is directly proportional to the work you put into it and the desire you have to get on CW and the time you spend at it !!
    I would try to memorize a few letters and sit at the radio and tune in some QSOs and try to pick out the letters when you hear them, c when you can copy those letters, memorize a few more and go back again !. I would go to the SKCC club gathering frequencies where there are QSOs at a resonable speed and not the bottom of 20 m where the DXers are sending computer generated high speeds.
    Try 3550, 7055, 7114, 7120, 10120, 14050. etc. to find some good low speed Morse.