Ok to guy tower with Hazer

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W0XX, Jun 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

So, is it acceptable to guy say a 50 foot tower on the hazer when it is at the top of the tower or do you have to guy the tower itself at the top of the tower? Seems either would be acceptable, when you crank the antennas down to around 20 feet or so, I do not think the tower needs the guys at the top as there is little wind load with the antennas removed.

2. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With a hazer system you have to undo 2 guy lines before you crank the hazer down. One guy can stay up as long as you have your beam facing the appropriate direction.

3. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what their GM paperwork state. However, I have heard a couple of chaps years ago that alleviated the hassle with attaching the guys to the bottom or top of their hazer. Just wondering is that is acceptable (regardless of GM documenation - they also say you can climb the GM towers which is in no way safe being a aluminum tower). Posing the question to hazer users on Rohn 25G or GM Towers.

4. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

This guy had guys on his hazer, and it became an issue when the hazer got stuck halfway down. He then had an unguyed tower with a wind load stuck halfway up. Having guys on the tower may avoid these corner cases, for example if you have to climb the tower when the hazer is down.

5. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, GM"s pulley is junk and I have heard of folks that have had their cables pop up and out of the pulley and get wedged between the pully and the area next to it. I would think guying to the hazer should be okay, as it secures things when up, only question would be when you lower the hazer your tower (25G or GM) is not guyed but then again has no wind load as the antennas are down low to the ground. GM doesn't provide much technical help, just like they tell you that you can climb their GM tower (which should never be done as the rungs are soft and bend easily)>

6. K2CAJ

Yes, but what if you have to climb the tower and you can't raise the hazer?

7. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

I will use a bucket truck service...not ever climbing a GM tower...25G perhaps, but not GM towers...

8. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

And if one uses the hazer on the 25G tower, do you need the wheels on the hazer (what are the real pros and cons)?
    I assume without the wheels, the hazer just free hangs ?

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've installed Hazers before, but to me they're a solution in search of a problem.

I would not attach guys to the Hazer; although they make a few versions, including the lighter duty which is Aluminum and heavier duty which is galvanized steel, but would not want to place such stress on the bracket.

"Guying tension" for a Rohn 25G is about 400# per line; I don't know what G-M recommends for their aluminum towers, but probably less.

10. K2CAJ

Wow, if you attached three of those to a hazer with a 45-degree guy angle, you'd have a downward force of about 800 pounds on the pulley.