Ok FT8, what good is it?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K3LI, Oct 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

A square wave with long ramps

2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me the difference between CW and an actual 'Digital' mode is that a human can decode CW. That is not the
    case for what is ' Digital' you need a computer / advanced device to decode them. As was said - CW is not on and off it is long and short with various timings. , but neither are JT9, FT8, RTTY, JT65 etc. We didn't call CW 'Digital' in 1970 and its not 'Digital' now - honestly, thats just playing verbal games.

Even our good friend Wikipedia:
    Radiotelegraphy using Morse code, also known as "CW" from "continuous wave", is the wireless extension of landline (wired) telegraphy developed by Samuel Morse and dates to the earliest days of radio. Although computer-based (digital) modes and methods have largely replaced CW for commercial and military applications, many amateur radio operators still enjoy using the CW mode

ND6M likes this.
  3. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" The difference between a flower and a weed is a judgement." -- H. Hobbs Tyler

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

or weed killer

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Suppose if you are a DXer D41CV Cape Verde Islands on 10 meters FT-8 as I type this may be of some interest.

6. W3SCA

W3SCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What good is it? When SSB sucks, when CW is marginal at best, the digital modes are still going strong! Many days I would have turned the radio off and left the shack, I have worked some of the rarest DX and ATNO's for me on the digital modes! In the last 8 years I have 209 confirmed in SSB now, I have 139 countries confirmed in FT8 in the last 10 months or so. I would say 20 - 30 of those were ATNO's for me as well and countries I would have most likely never heard in any other mode with the sun spot cycle the way it is. Sure it is not for everyone, sure it isnt very exciting overall, but I am very thankful for it!

K2NCC, KP4SX and W4NNF like this.
  7. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use it as a propagation monitor on 6m.
    When I see all the JT-philes fire-up, it alerts me that the band is about to open for "real" contacts.
    Frank

K3KIC and WG8Z like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like yesterday! (Mon-5/28) Europe was hot! Some of the activity was reaching us down here in short bursts.

9. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like just now!
    6m dead but FT8 going crazy, all S9, nobody else on the band.
    One short CQ and got a mini pile-up of "real" QSOs as Europe suddenly woke-up.

FT8 does have its uses...

Frank

10. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Amateurs Are the BETA TESTERS...
    so some One Else can make
    BANK...$$$$$