ad: k1jek

Official Observers: Something’s Coming

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the ARRL wants to provide data to the FCC, and they want to make sure the FCC gets what it asks for...

Not because of:
    Respectfully, it appears you are reading a lot into that single sentence...

2. NK7Z

You have already modified your original statement, you should probably learn to quote correctly... I'll leave it to you to correct yourself...

3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you just looking to start a fight? I gave my interpretation of the statement that was posted. I stand by it. You're entitled to your own. It's time to find something else to talk about.

4. N2SUB

I was surprised by that wording as well. It implies that there is some kind of a business relationship, and that the ARRL is subservient to the FCC. If you look at the leagues budget there is no line item for income from the FCC. I chalked it up to semantics......but it's still a little weird.

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to remember that only a small fraction of hams are ARRL members and this great unwashed horde have no idea what is going on around them and vice versa.
    Id also like to suggest that a number, maybe a majority of OO's and ARRL members plus employees are strongly anti-AM and maybe even anti-digital. This could slant the reporting to the FCC.

Next, toss in the many, many thousands of non ARRL members that are just as anti about the above and are the ones "flooding" the FCC. Or anti contesting or whatever else stains their panties.

Carl

6. N2SUB

I didn't even want to go there, but you are correct. It seems the League takes a point of view that they represent the entire ham population, but their own numbers reflect differently:

Total licensed hams in the US ONLY: 744,268 http://www.arrl.org/fcc-license-counts
    Number of ARRL members WORLDWIDE: ~170,000 http://www.arrl.org/arrl-fact-sheet

Within the last few months I have spoken to some members who are getting discouraged. Aside from the dues increase, which was substantial but a long time overdue, the price of everything seems to have increased. I've heard a story of someone sending in money for an award, and getting back a congratulatory letter but no certificate. When they called Newington, they were told that they didn't check a box online so they didn't receive a hard copy of the award. I've never had to specifically ask to have an award sent. Anyway, he felt it was a cost-savings measure since he paid the same amount but got nothing in return. I bought a book yesterday from the ARRL (they ARE good for that) but the price had gone up $3.00 since I last looked at it around Christmas. It's small things like that that are making the league less popular with the "unwashed horde". And in the interest of full disclosure, I am a member of the ARRL.

7. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dangit... I did not mean to type FCC in the previous post... I meant to type ARRL.:oops:

N3AB likes this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

See previous post, sorry for the confusion!

9. NK7Z

Of course not, I was merely correcting a comment you made, sorry you interpreted that as someone trying to start a fight.

As well you should, however no one said, nor did anyone imply you were not entitled to your opinion, as I said, I merely corrected something I thought was in error, so there is no need to act as if someone implied, or stated you have no right to an opinion.

I am aware of this, and I agree we should drop this.

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the discouragement I have seen with ARRL has nothing to do with price increases.

11. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got nailed as a novice for harmonics... my HW-16 was putting out a nice 20m signal but I was on 40... OO was in my town and he said it was super weak but I should check it. I don't remember what I found for sure... HW-16 was used when I got it and the soldering job was horrid when I opened it to check things over.

12. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Talk about "nothing burger". How many of you have received a notice from an OO? I am sure it is not many, and those that have are most likely glad they did when told it is harmonics or chirp or an AC on the signal (like me) . I got one one many years ago for AC on the CW signal after putting a Drake TR-4 that I had just picked up. If the OO was actually listening he needn't bother as my report was 591. I immediately shut down and disconnected the power supply and got it fixed by replacing the caps. So OO's are a valuable resource to have around and if they are recording the idiots on those frequencies that most of us just spin the VFO past and sending those recordings to the ARRL, then they will have done us all a service.