"Official" Ham license copy

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KG7YSE, Jan 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KG7YSE

KG7YSE Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't want to start a new thread but I didn't see this topic. I'm in the process of installing Echolink. I downloaded the software, installed it, configured my firewall and opened the required ports on my router, successfully made a test connection. Did all that in under 10 minutes. For the past 3 hours I have been struggling with FCC website trying to obtain a PDF copy of my "Official" license so I can be validated. What a frustrating experience. Apparently my password is not correct, I tried to reset it but because of the government shut down they can't reset my password so I can get a copy of the license. Question, Can I obtain an official copy using another method? I find the FCC's website to be just about the most UN-user friendly website I've ever used. Thanks for any ideas. Rob. KG7YSE.

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, right now it is UN-user friendly. But that's because of the shut down. You should have given up after 10 minutes.

I went to do a simple name search about a week ago and gave up. There are many people trying to renew their licenses, but they can't. Everyone is left out in the cold.

I hear, in another thread, that they may be back to work on Monday, but that's any ones guess.

3. KG7YSE

Thanks for the reply. Yes, At the time I forgot all about the "partial government shutdown" Oh well, I'm willing to wait. I don't need to use echolink that bad. Silly me for thinking the FCC would have a website which was intuitive enough to do a simple password reset without requiring a human being. Every large company in the word has a website which does not require a human to reset your password, but then this is the federal government we're talking about so that makes sense. 20 years behind the private sector.

4. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oy! I absolutely agree! The 'PC' term used to describe me and computers is 'Tolerant of complexity', and I thing the FCC site is a maze.

I don't believe you can generate an 'official' copy unless you can log in to your ULS account. However you might try searching your computer; perhaps you downloaded the pdf when you were originally licensed, and the file is still in your downloads directory.

Have your computer search for a .pdf from when you were licensed, and look for a file name that is just a string of 20 or so numbers/letters.

The other option is to see if echolink will be happy with a 'reference' copy; here is the page for your call sign, just click on the 'reference copy' button.
    https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3752182

Good luck
    Jon

5. KG7YSE

No, it does say explicitly No reference copy when trying to become verified. I did search my computer but I'll try again because I'm pretty sure I downloaded it before. Thanks for your help though.. 73 to you

6. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

never got verified because of his control issues. Never liked echolink anyway.