ad: ProAudio-1

Off-grid digital voice repeater?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KF4NCN, Jun 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF4NCN

KF4NCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey everyone, I work mostly hf and I am new to the digital voice modes like DMR, D-Star, etc. I was wondering if it is possible to create a temporary field day vhf repeater that uses a digital voice mode, without having an active internet connection to the repeater? This is intended to run local digital mode traffic for a few people, not dx'ing or general public use. If so, which digital mode would work best? I have not gotten any clear info from the online research I have done. Thanks.

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. The internet connection is the least of your concerns when trying to set up a temporary VHF repeater.

But, if temporary, and no internet connection, why go digital at all? Plenty of FM radios out there.

3. KF4NCN

Sure a regular repeater would be easier, but where is the fun in that. The main reason for this is just to see if can. lol I am always trying to find new and unconventional methods of ham radio.

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever put up a VHF repeater? What are you trying to accomplish with this, other than see if it can be done?

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Even for analog VHF FM, portable repeaters have been rather rare over the years considering the bulk and power requirements.

Can it be done? Sure. All it takes is money and something to haul around the gear.

6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Been there, done that. (digital, data not voice). If you have a more affluent group of amateur radio operators, then a DMR ( maybe C4FM ) system or D-Star(tm still possible) system would be built. If you know who that group of folks are, you may want to see if they prefer radios by Yaesu(mfr.) / Vertex (mfr.) or Motorola (mfr.) over those made by Icom(mfr.) or Kenwood(mfr.) or--- maybe some other(mfr.). Their choice may dictate what type of voice digipeater would be best for 'the group'. Unless you plan to loan out digital radios of your own, asking the others ( maybe by e-mail ) would get you a better subscriber base. I have no financial interest in any of those manufacturers, and have certainly excluded some of the overseas makers of DMR equipment regarding possible shipping issues.

7. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW- You may find that obtaining the equipment in time for this year's Field Day is a difficult chore, unless you start at least 7 working days ahead. There are plenty of used FM repeaters to be had, yet voice-digital equipment may be harder to source.

8. N1LOU

N1LOU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. KF4NCN

Hey everyone, thanks for the info. It will help me a lot going forward.