ad: TinyPaddle-1

Off Grid Data Comms with a Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0DHO

K0DHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr OH8STN is a hard core dude... Wow.

KQ6XA and OH8STN like this.
  2. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure if that's true but it's appreciated. Although it's hard to know it from his YouTube channel, the Slowfood Survivalist is an excellent teacher. It was his cabin we visited as a staging point, on the first day. He's the guy who taught me how to Forest ski, build a snow shelter, basically how to be comfortable when everything around us is Frozen. I could do a whole series on the stupid mistakes he's helped me avoid over the years. Yeah it definitely takes teamwork.
    Anyway thanks for the nice comment.

NC4AB and KQ6XA like this.
  3. AB9VJ

AB9VJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nicely done video. I learned a lot. Thanks

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. K3AFA

K3AFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Amazing.

KQ6XA likes this.
  5. VE3ZTM

VE3ZTM Ham Member QRZ Page

great share. thks.

6. W7MP

W7MP Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the difference between a solar generator and a solar panel?

Adam W7MP

KB1YXD likes this.
  7. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian, you mention networking features of JS8Call, sending mail using PSKMail, and Pac Winlink? (sp)> I am interested in learning about those modes and methods. I am familiar with mail over APRS, Winmor, HF packet, etc but wonder if any of your videos cover the aforementioned modes in this video? Yes, I can and will do some research but like to ask as you cannot beat the ability of someone with experience to cut to the heart of a topic. I have a DRAWS hat but have thought of selling it. I simply have a love/hate relationship with Linux and would hate to try and troubleshoot things in the field on that OS. This video made a compelling argument to stick with Linux. I have a Pi running BPQ and another running Allstar but both have confounded me over the last few years with problems that I ended up spending a lot of time on- mostly relying on others to help find the answers. I can dive deep on Windows to troubleshoot and fix things but I have no such facility on Linux and it concerns me. I love operating in the field though and dreamt of a setup like yours as far back as 2015 or so. One last random question- have you any feedback if aftermarket heat sinks alleviate KX2 overheating on full duty dig modes? I am close to operating my KX2 on dig and would be interested in my options.
    Thanks and 73
    Clifford - KK6QMS

8. K5GHM

K5GHM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely Outstanding! I have sat through a lot of presentations in my lifetime and this is one of the best. Production value is A+. Well written and photographed. I'll be watching your other videos.

You have a gift to effectively communicate information of a technical nature in a very engaging, easy to understand, and practical way.

Thank you for all your hard work.

9. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

This video is very well put together. Thanks for all of your good work. What digital modes can I do on my android tablet other than psk and rtty? My 891 has datavox so all i need is my tablet, but it seems there is not many digital modes apps for android :(