ad: RadioQSL-1

Off Center Fed Dipole

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N5VEG, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

OCF up at 45 feet balun 1:6 with 1:1 unun.
    135 feet, added coil and piece of wire on the short end, making it resonant on 160 as well, not ehough room to put up a full size 160-10 OCF, so this works well.
    With the inverted L i have 2 decent antenna's for 160, the EWE receiving antenna works fine for reception in noisy conditions.

Who said you can't get an decent antenna up on a 100 x 25 foot plot?
    :D

2. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

I have thought for a while now that OCF dipoles should be what we steer new guys towards and not the horrible G5RV.

The OCF dipole is much more effective as a multi-band antenna than the G5RV is.

3. KD8IGK

KD8IGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the Antenna Scope from my Rig Expert AA-230 Pro for my current OCF Dipole, It works pretty well from 40M to 6 M. You can see by these charts, although this is not to tell any one how good or bad this OCF is, but pretty interesting information either way.

Bill
    KD8IGK

4. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

And it is simple to build along with the fact that it is not fussy about what feed line type used. I've used ladder line and coax with great success.:)

5. KD8IGK

Yes, this is a very simple home made OCF. I think the overall length is approx 80 Ft. It is fed with RG-213/U coax into a 4-1 voltage balun, and 15 feet of 300 ohm twin lead (from Radio Shack). I got this practically free from another ham. It is mounted in a modified inverted V configuration in my attic. It is not totally a inverted V on both ends. I am still going to test some changes to it, but you never know until you get actual contacts to verify it against.
    Bill
    KD8IGK

6. N5RWJ

N5RWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the Info on OCF windoms with a vertical resonate, also who building the best?

7. KD8IGK

What do you mean by "VERTICAL RESONANCE" ?
    I am not sure what you are referring to.

With regard to who is making the best one, that is totally a subjective response.

There are several out there, Radio Works, and Radio Wavz are two I know of. I have not purchased these commercial units and your mileage may vary.

8. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you buy something you can build yourself for 1/4 of the price?

9. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Any radio ham who buys a G5RV, Windom, Carolina Windom , Alpha Delta fan dipole or any other wire antenna should be taken out, shot, have their licence ripped up into shreds and then shot some more.

10. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are referring to actually "buying" one :) I agree, unless they happen to have money burning holes in their pockets... which most of us do not! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.